My good friend Jeneen turned me onto this recipe for Chicken Marbella over ten years ago when food allergies where unheard of and massive amounts of sugar didn’t phase me a bit.
A famous recipe that originated in a cookbook called the The Silver Palate, Chicken Marbella is well known and loved.
While there is an unusual combination of ingredients in this recipe, don’t be put off…this recipe is beloved for a reason. A veritable party in your mouth of contrasting flavors and textures!
Some purists might balk at a tweaking of a good thing. But with 1 cup of brown sugar called for, and a very soupy sauce left in the bottom of the pan (my husband would lament that sauciness, and I aim to please), I knew I wanted to change some things for our family.
My original intention was to just reduce the sweetener and use palm sugar…but then I wondered: what would happen if I left it out altogether? After all prunes are super sweet in and of themselves…could I rely on them for that sweet and savory combination many of us love so well?
The end result of this luscious Chicken Marbella dish is succulent pieces of tender chicken with a perfect marriage of sweet and salty. Even better, the skin caramelizes in the pan without a bath of juice to sit in while baking!
Enjoy a super super easy, hands-off dinner that will please the masses.
Incidentally, if any of you would like to add the last couple of ingredients for more sauce.. when you are ready to bake, sprinkle the marinated pieces with about 1/4 cup palm sugar, followed by 1/2 cup white wine and bake as directed.
PS: I leave the olives out because I have never been able to get my taste buds around them. Forgive me, I am less than perfect!
PSS: These chicken pieces are great hot OR cold!
Want some more dinner ideas that include chicken? I have a chicken tag with all my chicken recipes, or check out a couple of our paleo | keto | whole 30 compliant favorites:
- Paleo Pesto Spaghetti Squash w/ Crispy Bacon and Chicken
- Paleo Dairy Free Chicken Tikka Masala
- Simple Grilled Vietnamese Chicken
PLAN FOR MARINATE TIME!!
- 4 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, with skin ( I used drumsticks and thighs)
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 7 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- ⅓ cup halved or quartered prunes
- ¼ cup capers w/ juice
- 8 green olives - halved (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- In a blender, puree red wine vinegar through the sea salt until the garlic is smooth.
- Pour into a container large enough to hold all your chicken pieces (a Ziploc bag would work too).
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix to blend marinade ingredients.
- Add your chicken pieces, and make sure all pieces are evenly coated and touched by the goodness!
- Place in the fridge and marinate 24 HOURS!! No, a couple of hours is not the same, so RESIST!
- When you are ready to cook, remove the pieces and place them in a large roasting pan with all the marinade.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Roast the chicken for 45-60 minutes until well cooked and the the skin in golden brown and crispy.