Tender, succulent pieces of chicken marinated in an unbelievably delicious sauce for a dish that will have you coming back for more!! Chicken Marbella makes a great meal warm OR cold, and I played with this popular recipe to make it healthier!
My good friend Jeneen turned me onto this recipe over ten years ago when food allergies were unheard of and massive amounts of sugar didn’t phase me a bit.
But that was then. This is now.
The original recipe calls for a cup of brown sugar….so I knew I wanted to tweak it.
A famous recipe that originated in a cookbook called the The Silver Palate, this Chicken Marbella is well known and loved.
Unusual chicken Marbella ingredients create magic!
While there is an unusual combination of ingredients in this recipe, don’t be put off…this recipe is beloved for a reason.
A veritable party in your mouth of contrasting flavors and textures!
How to make a healthy chicken Marbella?
Some purists might balk at a tweaking of a good thing. But with 1 cup of brown sugar called for, and a very soupy sauce left in the bottom of the pan (my husband would lament that sauciness, and I aim to please), I knew I wanted to change some things for our family.
My original intention was to just reduce the sweetener and use palm sugar…but then I wondered: what would happen if I left it out altogether? After all prunes are super sweet in and of themselves…could I rely on them for that sweet and savory combination many of us love so well?
The end result of this luscious Chicken Marbella dish is succulent pieces of tender chicken with a perfect marriage of sweet and salty. Even better, the skin caramelizes in the pan without a bath of juice to sit in while baking! CRISPY skin!! High points for that in my world.
Enjoy a super super easy, hands-off dinner that will please the masses.
- Incidentally, if any of you would like to add the last couple of ingredients for more sauce… when you are ready to bake, sprinkle the marinated pieces with about 1/4 cup palm sugar, followed by 1/2 cup white wine and bake as directed.
- PS: I leave the olives out because I have never been able to get my taste buds around them. Forgive me, I am less than perfect!
- PSS: These chicken pieces are great hot OR cold!
What to serve with this healthier chicken marbella?
While certainly delicious on its own, to make a balanced meal, consider serving with:
- a favorite crusty bread or gluten free sourdough
- white or brown rice
- my roasted butternut squash would marry beautifully with the flavors here
- a simple green salad with a red wine vinaigrette
Want some more dinner ideas that include chicken? I have a chicken tag with all my chicken recipes:
- When the cool weather hits, this low carb casserole has unbelievable flavors! Keto chicken pesto casserole
- Feel like some Indian food? I ahve a popular version to try: Dairy Free Chicken Tikka Masala
- Grilled Vietnamese Chicken is an extended family favorite! Everyone who tastes it asks for the recipe! The marinade takes a couple minutes…and even picky eaters gobble it up!
- For a simple, economical roasted chicken, check this recipe for chicken leg quarters!
Paleo Chicken Marbella Recipe:
If you try this ultra flavorful roasted chicken, be sure to come back and leave a comment and rating!
Chicken Marbella - Paleo | Whole30
- 4 pounds bone-in chicken pieces with skin ( I used drumsticks and thighs)
In a Blender:
Remaining Marinade Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup halved or quartered prunes
- 1/4 cup capers w/ juice
- 8 green olives - halved optional
- 2 bay leaves
In a blender, puree the blender ingredients until smooth.
Pour into a container large enough to hold all your chicken pieces (a Ziploc bag would work too).
Add the remaining marinade ingredients and mix to blend together.
Add your chicken pieces, and make sure all pieces are evenly coated and touched by the goodness! Massage away!
Place in the fridge and marinate 24 HOURS!! No, a couple of hours is not the same, so RESIST!
When you are ready to cook, remove the pieces and place them in a large roasting pan with all the marinade.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Roast the chicken for 45-60 minutes until well cooked and the the skin in golden brown and crispy.
PLAN FOR MARINATE TIME!!
Any of the links in my posts may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and pays for the cost of running this free resource!