This originally started as a quest to re-create the no bake cookies of my generation for a good friend.
What I ended up with was far more delicious and healthy than the original. I feel good about giving these to my kiddos for an afternoon boost, and coupled with the fresh organic strawberries coming in from California right now…heaven!!
I call them cookies to excite my kids and only wish all the treats they get at school came packed with so much goodness. See what you think, my friend thinks they’re ‘jammin!’ (I have had a few giggles with that word!).
I started with a recipe from The Gluten -Free Vegan.
Makes about 2 dozen balls
- ½ cup grated coconut, unsweetened
- 1½ cup chocolate chips (Enjoy Life) or any dark chocolate in smallish pieces.
- 8-10 Medjool dates, pitted
- ¼ cup pecans (or other nut of choice)
- ½ cup sunflower seed butter or other nut butter
- ½ cup gluten-free oatmeal (I have used quinoa flakes too w/ great results)
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup (only if needed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- Toast the coconut in a clean, dry pan over medium heat (it will start to turn golden and smell heavenly!) Set aside.
- I decided to do the whole thing in my food processor. If yours is a bit weak or old, then follow Option B below. Otherwise, put all the ingredients in the food processor, and turn on. It will need some time to work it all into a thick batter where chocolate chips are not distinguishable. Be patient, it will come together! Only add the honey if you think it needs more movement to blend, coconut oil would work too. It should be well blended.
- Roll into balls and refrigerate until firm.
- OPTION B: Melt chocolate chips and nut butter together.
- Process with the remaining ingredients until well mixed.
- Form into balls and place into refrigerator to harden.
This recipe was shared on A Themed Bakers Sunday, Sweets For a Saturday, Real Food Link Up, Tuesday Confessional, Traditional Tuesdays, Hearth & Soul, Gluten Free Wednesday, Frugal Ways Sustainable Ways, Kids in the Kitchen, Healthy 2Day Wednesdays, Real Food Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Pennywise Platter, Keep it Real Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Freaky Fridays, Fight Back Fridays, Fresh Bites Friday, Whole Foods Friday, Monday Mania, My Meatless Monday, Melt in Your Mouth Monday,Made From Scratch Monday, Fat Tuesday, Slighty Indulgent Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday,