Healthy Paleo “Peanut Butter” Cups – Top 8 Free

Healthy 'Peanut Butter' Cups - Paleo

I died and went to heaven.  These little morsels were insanely quick to make and SO much better than any Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup!  No allergens, no refined sugars…I can almost call these health food!  Give these a whirl…but be warned, they are ADDICTIVE!!  This recipe was only slightly tweaked from one I found on The Spunky Coconut!  It is delicious with or without the chocolate, and needs to be stored in the freezer!

30 pieces sans chocolate AND using 1/2 cup sweetener @ 97 calories.  If you use half stevia, the amount drops to 89 calories!

Healthy 'Peanut Butter' Cups - Paleo

Healthy Paleo"Peanut Butter" Cups

• 1 cup sunflower seed butter (Trader Joe's) or any nut butter of your liking!
  • ½ cup coconut oil, softened (it's solid at room temp)
  • ¼-1/2 cup honey or any liquid sweetener to taste, Ilike about 5 tablespoons. I have also used half stevia liquid
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla
  • ½ teaspoon salt, optional
  • 1 cup (or more if you like!) dark chocolate chips. These are not sugar free. I like to melt them along with some unsweetened bars to make the chocolate extra dark and reduces the sugar content even further.
  1. Blend all ingredients (except chocolate) in a mixer until smooth.
  2. Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave. DO NOT OVER-HEAT THEM...it makes them gritty and tough. I always start with a minute, stir and do 20-30 second increments after that. When about ⅔ are melted, I just keep stirring until all are melted.
  3. Line a muffin tin (all I had was large paper muffin liners, but these would be perfect in mini muffins too).
  4. Pour a tablespoon or so of melted chocolate into paper liner, and brush the chocolate up the sides, no need to be exact (anyone who knows me knows I am more about taste than looks, not patient enough for the pretty details!) The chocolate will harden almost instantly as you brush it up the sides.
  5. Fill with the sunbutter filling, and place in the freezer.
  6. Store under refrigeration or in the freezer! You could always use a zester to put some pretty chocolate curls on top, or a few extra chocolate chips.
  7. Another simplified way is to do the whole seed butter mixture in an 8 x 8 pan and spread the melted chocolate over the top.

This recipe was shared on  Natural Living Monday, Mostly Homemade Monday,  Fat Tuesday,Tuesday Talent ShowTotally Talented Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesdays Hearth & SoulGluten Free Wednesdays, Waste Not Want Not, Wildcrafting WednesdayReal Food Wednesday, Fresh Foods Wednesday,  Wellness Wednesdays,  Full Plate ThursdayThriving on ThursdaySimple Lives ThursdayPennywise PlatterWhole Foods FridayGF FridayReal Foods Friday, Fight Back Friday, Simple Meals Friday, Savouring Saturday,

Tagged with: , ,
Posted in Dessert, Grain Free/Paleo, Vegan
58 comments on “Healthy Paleo “Peanut Butter” Cups – Top 8 Free
  1. Tara says:

YUM! Made these tonight for our small group from church and they were delicious! Everyone loved them and wanted the recipe!

2. Tessa says:

so glad to hear it….keep leaving the posts so I know people are enjoying the recipes!

3. Kelly says:

I just made my first batch. YUM! I made them in the Demarle mini-muffin mold which was the perfect size. I can't wait to make more! I may even experiment with different nut butters. Thank you, Tessa!

4. Marilyn says:

OMG this looks amazing…pinned it!

5. OMG is right…these are delicious! I love that they have heart healthy coconut oil! It’s such a good choice and tastes amazing in this recipe. Can’t wait to share them with my chocolate obsessed, nut allergic 4 year old when he wakes up tomorrow.

6. p.s. as I was making these, I was thinking the sunflower butter mixture would be a perfect substitute to make “Muddy Buddies”. I think I might try that next.

• that’s a GREAT idea Rebeca, you’re right! I so glad you love them too…and yes, almost a health food with that coconut oil! Thanks you so much for letting me know it worked out for you, I love getting feedback!

7. Beautiful, Tessa! I can only imagine how yummy these are! :-) Need to make these for Son. ;-)

xo,
    Shirley

8. These look great! I make a version of these as well– I put little boxes of them in my kids’ Easter baskets this year.

Yummy, great looking Peanutbutter cups, a great treat! Hope you are having a great spring week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.

10. Chaya says:

These look like a treat for adults as well as children. Thanks for sharing this.

11. These look so good! Might have to give it shot. Thanks for sharing!!

12. Sophie says:

Wow! Thanks for this recipe Tessa!!

I was seriously thinking yesterday of making something like this with honey and coconut oil…too weird that I’d find this today!

For chocolate, I mix 1 Tbso honey, 1 Tbsp cocoa, and 1 Tbsp coconut oil. (you can adjust the amounts however you like, but it’s very basic and tastes good! It hardens too, which is great!)

Thanks :)

13. I can’t wait to try this! I have pinned this to my Sweet Tooth Pinterest Board. Cherished Handmade Treasures Pinterest

Thanks for linking up to the Creative Corner Hop. I hope you will be back again next week!

Sandy
    Cherished Handmade Treasures

14. Wonderwoma says:

My husband will love me (more) if I make these! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

15. Michelle says:

Hi,

I followed you over from Mix it up Monday and this looks amazing! I bought coconut oil a few weeks ago because of all the health benefits and have been looking for what to do with it. Now I know. Thanks for sharing

I would love to invite you to share this, and any other posts you would like to, at my Creative Thursday Link Party at http://www.michellestastycreations.blogspot.com.

Have a great day,
    Michelle

16. Michelle says:

Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. Thanks for the tip about the coconut oil recipes too. I will definitely be checking those out.

Hope to see you again next week. Have a wonderful weekend.

Michelle

17. Addicted to Recipes says:

This recipe looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing at Scrumptious Sunday!

18. emily says:

Oh my, this looks amazing!! Thanks for linking to Tasty Tuesday at NapTime creations. You are being featured this week! Come by and grab a featured button.

19. April Harris says:

These peanut butter cups sound so good – and it’s wonderful all the healthy ingredients they contain!

20. Whoa! Yum times a million!! :) You need to make mini ones of these around Halloween and sell them!

21. Oh wow, these look incredible! And I love the simple ingredients. What a gem!! Thanks for sharing at Raw Foods Thursdays!!

22. Love the sub of sunflower seed butter! What a healthy alternative, can’t wait to make these.

Thanks for posting Tessa! :)

23. Man, oh man, you did it again! I’m beginning to think all you do is dream up and whip up amazing food, because how can you possibly do everything else AND make food this awesome?
    Thanks for sharing on Healthy 2Day Wednesday :-).

24. Thanks for sharing at Wildcrafting Wednesday. These look so GOOD.

25. Oh, my! I NEED to make these! I just pinned them to 3 different boards just in case I forget.

These Peanutbutter Cups look wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday and have a great weekend.

27. Love these! My grandma used to make something similar rolling nut butter in melted chocolate. Now that I’m allergic to nuts AND sunflower seeds I’m trying to find a sub… Thanks for sharing this on WNWNW :)

28. Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back tomorrow when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

29. I may just have to make these for my son’s 2nd birthday!

Thank you for sharing this on Tuned-in Tuesday Blog Hop! Looking forward to seeing what you have to share tomorrow! http://www.healthyrootshappysoul.com/2013/03/tuned-in-tuesday-blog-hop-3.html

30. Oh wow, you’ve convinced me, quick easy and delicious, what more could I want!
    Thank you for sharing this with Healthy Vegan Fridays. Check back on Friday to see if you were one of the Top 3! We hope to see you again this week. You can submit a post from Friday to end of Tuesday:

31. Wowza! Love this! Oh, how I miss peanut butter cups! These will be great for my family! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

The party will be GREAT this week! We are giving away a tote full of goodies from Namaste Foods! The items are gluten free and allergy friendly! Can’t wait to see what you bring to the party!

Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

32. Hannah says:

These look delicious! Thanks for sharing this with us last week! Hope you join us again at Eco-Kids Tuesday!!

33. Thanks so much for posting! I tried them and they were delicious. My husband is paleo and misses candy, and he loved them. I featured your recipe on my blog (with full credit and link to you) and changed up a couple of things to suit our family.

34. Becky says:

Thanks for sharing this recipe on Tuesday Greens! We have a peanut allergy in our house and finally found a coconut oil that does not have a chance for cross contamination. We will give these a go!

35. Angela says:

Mmm… inspiring! I’ve been in the mood to make something “peanut buttery” with sunflower seed butter. I think I’ve found it! :)

36. Kristi says:

I am fairly new to healthy cooking. I am just wondering if your calorie count is correct? Just doing the math between coconut oil and a cup of sunflower seed butter the cups would have over 100 calories, not including chocolate? Thank you!

37. Sandy says:

Don’t have any coconut oil right now, do you think it would work with coconut butter in place of coconut oil. If so, will try making with almond butter.
    If not, will try once I buy more coconut oil.

• Tessa says:

Hi Sandy! Yes, it should work, but the texture will be different as coconut butter has more of the meat in it.. And they might be a bit firmer too. If you make them like that….let us know how they turn out!

• Sandy says:

Forgot to post that we (me and my preschooler) loved the recipe using coconut butter (turns out more firm) and even love the recipe without chocolate! We like to add cinnamon. Once we finished using the coconut butter, we bought coconut oil again. Making them with coconut oil makes for more of a melts in your mouth type of candy :)

38. Julia says:

I can’t wait to make an Easter egg version of these! Yum!
    Julia recently posted…Carrot Spice Hot Cross BunsMy Profile

39. Wow, I can almost taste these, they look super yummy! I’m pinning this now and trying it SOON!! :)
    Theresa Scholtz recently posted…Moving…the packing chapterMy Profile

40. These sound fantastic. Hello from Real Food Fridays. :)

41. Marla says:

Yum! Just in time for Easter too. I am going to print this out and also share on google & Pinterest. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Friday Blog Hop!
    Marla recently posted…Real Food Friday #32 – Healthy RecipesMy Profile

42. Thanks for linking up and sharing on Mostly Homemade Mondays! We’re so glad you joined us, and look forward to seeing what you link up next week :)

Kelli @ The Sustainable Couple

43. amber says:

These look amazing…and your picture! Magazine worthy girlfriend. Beautiful!!!

xoxo

44. Debbie says:

Can xylitol be used as a sweetener? If so, how do I do that in the recipe? Honey is not an option and the family is not fond of stevia. Thanks so much.

45. Absolutely gorgeous photography, Tessa!

46. YUM!, Its not even 8 am and I am hungry for these~ Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

Can’t wait to see what you link up this week! The party link up is open!

Cindy