I died and went to heaven. These little morsels were insanely quick to make and SO much better than any Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup! No allergens, no refined sugars…I can almost call these health food! Give these a whirl…but be warned, they are ADDICTIVE!! This recipe was only slightly tweaked from one I found on The Spunky Coconut! It is delicious with or without the chocolate, and needs to be stored in the freezer!
30 pieces sans chocolate AND using 1/2 cup sweetener @ 97 calories. If you use half stevia, the amount drops to 89 calories!
- 1 cup sunflower seed butter (Trader Joe’s) or any nut butter of your liking!
- ½ cup coconut oil, softened (it’s solid at room temp)
- ¼-1/2 cup honey or any liquid sweetener to taste, Ilike about 5 tablespoons. I have also used half stevia liquid
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 cup (or more if you like!) dark chocolate chips. These are not sugar free. I like to melt them along with some unsweetened bars to make the chocolate extra dark and reduces the sugar content even further.
- Blend all ingredients (except chocolate) in a mixer until smooth.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave. DO NOT OVER-HEAT THEM…it makes them gritty and tough. I always start with a minute, stir and do 20-30 second increments after that. When about ⅔ are melted, I just keep stirring until all are melted.
- Line a muffin tin (all I had was large paper muffin liners, but these would be perfect in mini muffins too).
- Pour a tablespoon or so of melted chocolate into paper liner, and brush the chocolate up the sides, no need to be exact (anyone who knows me knows I am more about taste than looks, not patient enough for the pretty details!) The chocolate will harden almost instantly as you brush it up the sides.
- Fill with the sunbutter filling, and place in the freezer.
- Store under refrigeration or in the freezer! You could always use a zester to put some pretty chocolate curls on top, or a few extra chocolate chips.
- Another simplified way is to do the whole seed butter mixture in an 8 x 8 pan and spread the melted chocolate over the top.
This recipe was shared on My Meatless Monday, Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Motivation Monday, Mostly Homemade Monday, Tasteful Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Hearth & Soul, Traditional Tuesdays, Eco Kids, Tuesday Greens, GF Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Health 2Day Wednesday, Seasonal Celebration, Wildcrafting Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesdays, Thank Your Body Thursday, Tasty Traditions, Pennywise Platter, Full Plate Thursday, Raw Foods Thursday, Fresh Bite Friday, Wellness Weekend, Fight Back Friday,Healthy Vegan Fridays, Whole Foods Friday, Simple Meals Friday, Wheat-Free Wednesday,, Well Fed Wednesday,Tuned In Tuesday, Waste Not Want Not Wednesday,