Think lemon cheesecake. These are raw, gluten free, AND vegan…right up my alley!
Very recently, many of my respected food blogger comrades began mentioning Hail Merry Tarts. At the recent Food Allergy Conference, these little morsels won “Best in Show.”. I was dying to get my hands on one of these to try them out…but none of my local stores had them yet: they are relatively new to the market. So then I looked at ordering some online…but because they need to be refrigerated…the shipping was something obscene like $40! I submitted requests to both of my local natural food stores to start carrying them: I mean the way people were talking about them, I was DETERMINED to get one without going broke!
A month later (I am sure nothing to do with me), I happen to walk by the “New Products” at my local Whole Foods: and there they lay!! (This is where to cue exalting, angelic singing)
Finally, I was going to get to try one! I purchased one Chocolate Mint, and one Meyer Lemon Miracle Tart And while the chocolate mint was good, the lemon really knocked my socks off! Both of them reminded of cheesecake. Dense, decadent, and oh so good! I could find no knock-off recipes online, so I had to come up with my own here. The results are SO worth it! Creamy, dreamy, and melt-in-your mouth, you will not be disappointed! You can bet I will be working on a chocolate version next! And if you prefer lime or orange over lemon, just sub the lemon ingredients for the one you’d like! And if you like their raw chocolate macaroons, check out my knock off recipe for those!
UPDATE July 14, 2012: I have drastically changed the proportions in this recipe and left the gum out. I have learned a lot about these ingredients since I originally created this recipe and feel this recipe is new & improved!
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Zest one lemon
- Optional: Vanilla Creme Stevia to taste ( I used 5 drops)
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked a minimum of one hour, longer great!
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ⅓ cup full fat canned coconut milk or homemade thick and creamy nut milk
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup honey ( I replace half with liquid stevia equivalent)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract (the lemon is optional, however it really heightens the lemon flavor)
- Grated zest of 1-2 lemons (essential to the lemon flavor, don’t leave out!)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- For the crust, process almonds in the food processor until you have a meal/flour consistency.
- Add in remaining crust ingredients and pulse until well blended. You should be able to press the mixture together into a crust, add more agave/lemon juice if necessary.
- Press into greased individual tartlet pans, muffin tins, or make them into a bar using an 8 x 8 pan.
- For the filling, process all ingredients until silky smooth (multiple minutes).
- Taste and add more sweetener if you prefer, or more lemon!
- Spread into the awaiting crust, and refrigerate until set and ready to eat!! Heaven!
- If you have leftover filling like us, we sandwiched the creamy filling in between two Kinnikinnick Gluten Free Graham Crackers, Smoreables. I called them “Ice Cream Sandwiches” for my kid’s sake. Can you imagine a chocolate version oozing amongst these…yum!!
This recipe was shared on Natural Living Monday, Mostly Homemade Monday, Made By You Monday, Fat Tuesday,Tuesday Talent Show, Totally Talented Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesdays, Hearth & Soul, Homestead Barn Hop, Tip Me Tuesday, Gluten Free Wednesdays, Waste Not Want Not, Wildcrafting Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Fresh Foods Wednesday, Wellness Wednesdays, Full Plate Thursday, Thriving on Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Raw Foods Thursday, Whole Foods Friday, GF Friday, Real Foods Friday, Fight Back Friday, Simple Meals Friday, Savouring Saturday,