Think lemon cheesecake. These paleo lemon tarts are raw, gluten free, AND vegan…right up my alley!
Very recently, many of my respected food blogger comrades began mentioning (circa 2011!) Hail Merry Tarts. At the recent Food Allergy Conference, these little morsels won “Best in Show.”
I was dying to get my hands on one of these to try them out…but none of my local stores had them yet: they are relatively new to the market. So then I looked at ordering some online…but because they need to be refrigerated…the shipping was something obscene like $40! I submitted requests to both of my local natural food stores to start carrying them: I mean the way people were talking about them, I was DETERMINED to get one without going broke!
A month later (I am sure nothing to do with me), I happen to walk by the “New Products” at my local Whole Foods: and there they lay!! (This is where to cue exalting, angelic singing)
Finally, I was going to get to try one! I purchased one Chocolate Mint, and one Meyer Lemon Miracle Tart And while the chocolate mint was good, the lemon really knocked my socks off! Both of them reminded of cheesecake. Dense, decadent, and oh so good!
I could find no knock-off recipes online, so I had to come up with my own lemon tarts. The results are SO worth it! Creamy, dreamy, and melt-in-your mouth, you will not be disappointed! You can bet I will be working on a chocolate version next (update, I finally DID create a chocolate version!)!
And if you prefer lime or orange over lemon, just sub the lemon ingredients for the citrus you’d like! Regardless, try these keto vegan lemon tarts today, they are simply amazing!
Working with the keto lemon tart crust:
This crust is super simple to work with, whatever type of pan you decide to use! Remember to process the mixture longer if it does not press together easily.
- Most often, I use my silicon mini muffin pan to make these for bite sized tartlets. My tart tamper makes pressing the crust in a snap! The nutritional information and time are for this version.
- Any pans can be used!!
- I have also used a large tart pan, which makes prep even quicker!
If you would like to see my other Hail Merry copycats or no bake desserts, here are your links!
- Hail Merry Raw Chocolate Tart Copycat
- Raw Strawberry Macaroons
- Hail Merry Raw Chocolate Macaroons
- Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake
Paleo Lemon Tarts Recipe:
If you make these amazing tarts, I want to hear about it! Please leave a comment below!
Paleo 'Hail Merry' Lemon Tart Knock-Off
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup honey for keto try Surkin or powdered erythritol
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Zest one lemon
- stevia to taste I used 5 drops
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked a minimum of one hour, up to 4 in fresh water
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup full fat canned coconut milk or warm water
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup honey I replace half with liquid stevia equivalent. For low carb, use powdered erythritol
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract the lemon is optional, however it really heightens the lemon flavor
- Grated zest of 1-2 lemons essential to the lemon flavor, don't leave out!
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the crust, process almonds in the food processor until you have a meal/flour consistency.
Add in remaining crust ingredients and pulse until well blended. You should be able to press the mixture together into a crust, Continue to process to release some of the natural oils until the mixture binds/presses together easily.
Press into greased individual tartlet pans, muffin tins, or press into an 8 x 8 pan for one large tart.
For the filling, process all ingredients until silky smooth (multiple minutes).
Taste and add more sweetener if you prefer, or more lemon!
Spread into the awaiting crust, and refrigerate until set and ready to eat!! Heaven!
If you have leftover filling, try freezing it in individual muffin papers for some handy lemon fat bombs!