Paleo 5 Minute Muffins – High Protein, Grain Free, Sugar Free!

5 Minute Paleo Muffins - Banana Chocolate Chip-4920
This post was shared on Go Ahead Honey It’s Gluten Free over at And Love It Too.  Sunny’s theme this month was Paleo Travel Foods!!
GAHGF

Here we have a grain free, sugar-free, gluten-free, dairy-free….well pretty much free of everything except eggs and nuts (sunflower seeds and chia eggs take care of THAT too!).

I have made different variations of these multiple times, and I always have them in the oven in under 5 minutes.   I was immediately drawn to this recipe for its simplicity and it’s healthy ingredients, and I think you will be too!  Of course it earned even more points because I knew I could use my Blendtec, which I’ve been using obsessively since acquiring it!  LOVE that machine!

These are the cutest little darn things…give em go, a great kid snack!  Not too sweet, so increase the stevia if you feel necessary, but everyone of the kids I taste-tested these on loved them as is!

If you decide to add chocolate chips, I recommenced Enjoy Life’s new amazing dark chocolate chips, they are in the red bag!

Thank you goes to The Sweet Spot for the inspiration here!

INGREDIENT NOTES:

• Stevia:  I have linked to the stevia I use.  I know many people who are afraid of stevia, but I have tried a lot of brands, and this is by FAR my favorite with no weird stevia aftertaste, and no fillers.
  • I make my own sunflower seed butter, the flavor is superior and it is easier than you think.
  • My favorite nut butter in these muffins is cashew butter.   I make my own version in the same method as described in my  sunflower seed butter post, using raw cashews.

Makes about 24 mini muffins @ 78 calories, 3.3g of protein (variable on nut butter you choose),1.3 g sugar (using stevia), 5.1 g carbs, and 5.1 g fat

5 Minute Paleo Muffins - Banana Chocolate Chip-4921

5 Minute Muffins - High Protein, Grain Free, Sugar Free!

• 1 cup any nut butter ( I have used cashew, peanut, almond, and sunflower seed. My favorite is cashew)
  • 2-3 VERY ripe banana w/ tons of black spots (I have also used some prunes to help sweeten in place of the some of the banana)
  • 2 eggs (I have also tried a chia/flax egg, and while very delicious, the texture is more moist and they do not rise as high)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 10 drops liquid stevia, or a a tablespoon or two of honey to taste (optional) This amount here greatly depends on personal taste and the sweetness of your bananas.
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Place all ingredients into a blender or food processor.
  3. Blend until well mixed: batter will be sticky.
  4. Pour batter into a greased mini muffin tins.
  5. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 8 minutes or so, slightly longer with chia eggs. I am sure you could use regular muffins too, but you will have to increase the cooking time to 12-15 minutes.

5 Minute Paleo Muffins - Banana Chocolate Chip-4928

This recipe was shared on My Meatless Mondays, Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Mondays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tasteful Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Hearth & Soul, Traditional Tuesdays, Eco Kids Tuesday, GF Wednesday, Seasonal Celebration Wednesday, Healthy 2Day Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Wildcrafting Wednesday, Wheat Free Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday, Thank Your Body Thursday, Tasty Traditions,Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter,Wellness Weekend, Fight Back Friday, Fresh Bites Friday, Whole Foods Friday. GF Friday,Healthy Vegan Fridays, Simple Meals Friday,Made From Scratch Monday. Virtual Whole Foods Potluck,

Tagged with: , , , , , ,
Posted in Breads & Muffins, Breakfast, Grain Free/Paleo, Recipes 4 Everyday & Everyone, Snacks, Vegan
108 comments on “Paleo 5 Minute Muffins – High Protein, Grain Free, Sugar Free!
  1. Kim Edgar says:

Yummy! I'm going to make these this weekend!

2. Ok I seriously need a blendtec or vitamix. I feel incomplete without one! The tops of those muffins are so cute. Not like anything I've ever seen that's grain-free!

3. Oh my!! I love how quick and easy they are! I am going to throw some together this afternoon for a snack for the boys! Did you use liners for your mini muffins? Great recipe, Tessa! ;)

4. Amber says:

Brilliant Tessa!

What a fun and easy recipe. My kids would gobble these right up!

Hugs,
    –Amber

5. Lisa says:

These look and sound really good. I am always willing to try new recipes. You should link this up to my "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." :-) As for the picture of Jesus on my blog, I am not sure how much they would cost on the artist's website. They have originals, which are obviously very expensive, and copies for sale, which are less. I just don't know the prices off hand. I would love to have it in my home, as well. For right now, I am just happy looking at His face on my blog. :-) Hope you have a GREAT weekend. God bless, Lisa

6. Ina says:

These muffins look wonderful! With the nut butter and bananas you end up with a healthy treat or breakfast muffin too!

7. These look amazing! I was just looking for higher protein foods since my son started lifting. Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

8. Kristina says:

Love that these can be GAPS friendly! Thanks! Found you over at Fat Tuesday!

9. Anonymous says:

Where's the nutritional info? How much protein??

10. Delicious idea for a high protein breakfast! My daughter has observed that she feels better when she has a high protein meal for breakfast, but she prefers to eat carb type food – this just might be the prefect compromise.

11. Linda says:

I have to say those are interesting looking little muffins! I like the ingredients and the high protein factor. Looks like your forgot to add GF Wednesdays to your list of links this week. ;)

12. flo says:

I make something very similar to this, but using honey instead of liquid stevia. I’ll have to order some and try it out!!

p.s. I love your name… one of our daughters is named Tessa! :)

• I have been having fun with the stevia…some sweetness without the calories!! I put a link to the one I have been using in the post. NuNaturals also makes good stevia products! If your bananas are super ripe (over ripe!) the extra sweetness is not necessary…

13. These look and sound amazing! I’ve just started dabbling in GF baking and this one is great because it uses ingredients I already have at home – which is a huge win in my book :)

• I love how quick they go to together too Sarah…easy every once in awhile is great with ingredients as nutritious as these! Since you are just starting gf baking adventure, please don’t hesitate to ask for help and tips….I might be able to save you some insanity!! I was an experienced baker and there was still a learning curve!

14. Annie says:

Im so grateful for this recipe! I’m just now starting a high protein, sugar free & gluten free diet; and I’ve been dreading the idea of getting up early to make breakfast. I’m not a morning person at all; I prefer to sleep in until the last possible second and run out the door with a muesli bar. Now I can run out the door with a couple of mini muffins instead! Thankyou <3 (now off to see what other recipes you have for me!)

• So glad to here it Annie! I definitely suggest taking a couple of hours to stock your freezer with some different varieties to keep things interesting…..the breakfast pizzas on my blog are very quick too and worth checking out, just a bit of time in the oven!

15. Annie says:

Just throwing caution to the wind here, especially for diabetics: bananas and vinegar both have natural sugars in them.

16. Jane says:

These look great, the perfect snack!

17. no flour…well then I’ll just have to go ahead and try this!

18. kirsten says:

I made these on a school morning, and that’s saying something about the simplicity! I have to say though, it’s worth mentioning that extra ripe bananas are key. I also added twice the stevia amount b/c they weren’t quite sweet enough for me initially. Choc chips would be a fun treat too. :)

• yes, I would agree, super ripe bananas = more natural sugars from the bananas. These are not a super sweet muffin, so everyone has to decide how much sweetener to put in for their tastebuds!

19. Amin says:

I tried to workout the nurtrional values for these muffins, here is what I came up with (any ideas to increase the protein?):

Nutrition Facts

Fat
    72%
    Carbs
    23%
    Protein
    11%

• Hi Amin, what’s your goal? I double checked my nutritional info, and all looked good ( I used My Fitness Pal to calculate). I eat these as a snack, or with some eggs in for breakfast. A Lara Bar has anywhere from 4-7g protein per bar…so these are similar if you eat two. I imagine you could get away with adding a protein powder, no more than 3 or 4 tablespoons or you will probably change the texture…but it is worth playing around with. It is also worth noting that peanuts are the leas nutritional source of nuts (even though it is technically a legume!), so you’re better off with almond, sunflower (although my fav is cashew!) Let me know if I can help anymore…

• Kelly says:

Quinoa flakes are a great way to increase protein

20. Dana says:

These look great! I love anything that takes 5 minutes to prepare :) and any excuse to buy some cashew butter is good too!
    -Dana

21. YUM, how neat! This is so easy!! Thanks for sharing Tessa! :) Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays recipe party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) We are building a great set of gluten free recipes so far! Its making my meal planning easy :) How about yours? See you next Friday! Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

22. Kaleigh says:

I was a little worried that these muffins would be too wet but decided to try them because I had all the ingredients and it looked fast / easy. They are amazing! I can’t believe how perfect the texture is. I made 12 regular sized muffins (15 mins baking) and everyone loved them – gone in less than a day. Thank you so much for posting this recipe!

23. Kathy Lowery says:

Oh my gosh these came out so good!! I used creamy natural peanut butter (Trader Joe’s),2 1/2 bananas. I have never had any baked good rise so good since baking without regular flour and baking powder or yeast. These will be a staple in my goody rotation!

24. Maryjo Baham says:

I can’t wait to make these for my daughter who suffer from so many food allergies. One question- can you substitute another fruit for the bananas? I suffer from PCOS and can not have them. Do you have any suggestions or will these be mainly for my sweet baby girl?

25. susan says:

I just have a question–

I am on a yeast-free diet, but not sure where yeast derivative fits in…Is it okay to have soup broths with a yeast derivative, since it isn’t really yeast??

Thanks,

Su

26. Gina says:

I’ve made this 3-4 times, and it is delicious! I’m on a no sugar, SCD-type diet, avoiding flour and grains as much as possible. My husband is trying to eat less gluten, and these make a fine morning snack! I occasionally become intolerant to bananas so I make these with prunes instead! I take a 12 oz bag of prunes (you will have to adjust depending on the sweetness desired – I do not add stevia or any other sweetener to this), and put them in a mixer/blender (I use my ninja). Once these are blended, I add the remaining ingredients and blend them altogether. Awesome, recipe! Thank you!

• Awesome Gina! I like our prune version too, I am glad you were able to create a recipe that works for you and that you enjoy Gina, thanks for coming by!

• Susan says:

I’m getting ready to make these with bananas but I love your prune switch! I’m going to have to make them both ways. I’m sure my neighbor would love to share them with me!

27. Wendy says:

These muffins are DEVINE! Made them tonight and couldn’t wait (well almost) to write a note after eating one. WOW, I am surprised at how light they are in texture and how nicely they raised; didn’t even deflate after cooling down. I followed the recipe exactly; however, to satisfy my craving for macaroons, I used almond & coconut extracts instead of vanilla and stirred in sliced almonds and unsweetened coconut just before scooping into the muffin tins (used standard size tin). This recipe is so simple and is free of what must be eliminated from my diet (gluten, dairy, most sugars) and satisfied my over zealous sweet tooth! These will definitely be a staple in my home.Thank you for sharing this recipe! It’s been a while since I’ve had such a lovely treat!

28. Karen says:

Definitely putting this recipe on the to-do list. So great for breakfast or snack! Visiting from Tasteful Tuesday.

29. Wow, this are so yummy..I’m always looking for recipes that are easy to make and flour less. My daughter will love these muffins..

30. One of those fluffy nuggets needs to get in my mouth, pronto! :)

31. I am always amazed at how such simple ingredients can make such a wonderful looking food item. I am enjoying a cup of coffee this morning, looking at my screen and imagining how good one of these muffins would taste right about now LOL. Thank you for sharing this with us this month!

Tessa,
    We just love a muffin like this, nice to have on hand to grab and go. Have a great St. Patrick’s Day and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
    Come Back Soon,

33. These look wonderful! They are so cute too. I can’t wait to try them.
    Thank you for sharing on Natural Living Monday. I look forward to seeing you there again!

34. Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back tomorrow when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

35. Lisa Lynn says:

They look yummy :) Thanks for sharing on Wildcrafting Wednesday!

36. Hannah says:

These look great! Thanks for sharing with us at Eco-Kids Tuesday! Hope you join us again today! http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2013/03/flip-trainer-review-at-eco-kids-tuesday.html

37. How AMAZING do these look! Oh my gosh, can’t wait to try these little gems! Shared on my page…thanks for the recipe Tessa! :)

38. Rebecca says:

I was wondering how much chia you would use if you can’t have eggs.
    Thanks

39. Hey Tessa! This was the most popular post this week on Healthy Vegan Friday, woo! Thanks so much for sharing it! I love the idea of a muffin centered around nut butter- this would be so satisfying! Hope to see you back this week :)

40. Gloria says:

Very good! I did some with chocolate (100% cocoa) and they were really good too. thanks!

41. Love that these muffins are made with healthy ingredients and they look great too! Sometimes healthy can be great, but not look great, which is still unappetizing. Thanks for sharing on Hearth & Soul Hop. :)

42. Kristin Pettit says:

Just made these this afternoon – very good. I threw in some kale and a handful of dried apricots in place of the second banana and instead of stevia, one tablespoon of maple syrup. I’ll probably eliminate the syrup for next time as they were sweet enough with the fruit. I really like them and so does my little one. Thanks for posting.

43. Becky says:

These are so good, and so easy that you could make them in time for work/school. So happy to have found you and excited to try more of your recipes.

44. Robin says:

what is are the fat, carb, fiber and protein counts for one muffin?

45. Shannon says:

What did I do wrong? I followed your instructions – used two bananas, honey, food processor.. They collapsed as soon as I took them out of the oven, and insides are wet – I made mini muffins, and had to cook the for about 13 minutes. The batter came right to the top of each cup. They’re definitely yummy, but given the other comments about the light texture, mine clearly didn’t turn out the way they’re supposed to. Ideas?

46. Kelley says:

Fantastic recipe! These were super yummy! Any tips on storing them, though? I left them at room temperature overnight under aluminum foil, and they are extremely discolored now (blackish-green on top). I sure hope they haven’t spoiled!! :(

47. Chelsea says:

I am blown away by these! I just made my first batch (used natural peanut butter and added walnuts) they are absolutely amazing and I can’t believe they are grain and gluten free. I am pretty much so happy I could cry! Thank you do much for this recipe.

48. Alex says:

Amazing, I can’t wait to try. One question: what could I substitute for the apple cider vinegar cos I don’t have any!

49. Kira says:

I’ve had to eliminate all wheat and corn products from my diet, and I’ve been reluctant to try traditional gluten free baking because of the high cost of all the exotic flours. This recipe was the perfect solution. I made them for the first time tonight, and I did half your way (banana) and half my way (apple spice). I love them both! The apple spice recipe is here: http://cookieswithfriends.wordpress.com/2013/07/31/spiced-applesauce-muffins-grain-oil-dairy-and-refined-sugar-free/

Thanks for the inspiration,
    Kira

50. Buttoni says:

OMG These look amazing! I love the shiny surface on the top! I’m going to try these for breakfast in the morning. :) thanks!

51. Serenity says:

I just made these for a baby shower and all the guests were crazy for them! So simple and easy! Oh — and I used flax egg and honey they came out beautifully. I think I will use liners next time because even though I greased the pan they were still difficult to get out. This recipe is gold for me! Thanks!

52. denise says:

Just made these and were delish! I did not have bananas but had some puree squash, so i subbed for banana. I also added 1/3 cup tapioca flour. Thanks Tessa

53. Donna says:

Loved these muffins, thank you

54. Casey says:

These muffins are fabulous. I made them last week using a chocolate almond butter and added chocolate chips. I’m making them today using pecan butter and added strawberries, mango, & pineapple.

55. Brielle says:

What is a substitute for the “nut butter”? I’m just on a low-calorie diet and nuts are very calorie/fat dense.

Is there anything else you could use? Thanks!!

56. katherine roberts says:

I did not have success with this recipe. They hardly rised in the oven and they did not taste good. I think this can attributed to two things: the bananas were not mushy enough. They were ripe (brown spots and soft) but not ripe enough, maybe? Secondly, I don’t think my food processor did a good enough job combining all the ingredients. My muffins turned out green-tinted and with a eggy texture. I think I’ll stick with my regular gluten muffins. I am not gluten-intolerant or sugar-intolerant, so this suites my lifestyle. Good luck!!

• katherine roberts says:

Also, I made a bad batch of sun butter earlier (your recipe, but my fault again, that dang processor aint strong enough!) with rancid nuts that could taint the muffins …

• if they were green, did you use sunflower seed butter? that can turn things green when it interacts with baking soda. And yes, these are definitely not a typical muffin texture Katherine, you are right!

57. toni says:

Loved these made 1/2 with chocolate chips and 1/2 with Craisins…. does anyone know how they work if you freeze them???

58. Jen says:

So my boyfriend and I loved these and we set aside 4 each to take to work the next day. He just got to work and said why are they green? I opened mine which were in a seperate bag and they turned green too.

Can anyone explain what I might have done wrong or what chemical reaction took place?!

Nothing was old or expired and only the tops look green.

Thanks!

59. Poppy says:

These muffins are AWESOME! And the recipe makes it really easy change up or substitute. Making a double batch this morning with unsweetened coconut flakes, pecans, macadamia nuts, Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips, and cinnamon! NNNNMOOOOOMMMMMMMM!

60. mariah says:

so, i made these and they taste amazing. however, mine turned out dark green. yes, really. i made them with sunbutter and my sweetener was maple syrup. i added dark chocolate chips just before baking but i dont think that’s the culprit. i am so confused as to how it happened (i made them twice!). could it be some kind of strange chemical reaction with one of my ingredients??? anyway, they tasted great! thanks for the recipe!

• Hi Mariah! It is indeed a chemical reaction between the sunflower seed butter and the baking soda (the chlorophyll react with the soda when heated). So when it gets cool, it turns green!! It is fun to play with around St Patty’s day! If you want to counteract it,use half the soda or add a splash of lemon juice to the batter!

61. Teresa Riley says:

Oh my gosh! These are amazing! I made them and all 5 of my kids, my in home daycare, my husband and of course me, absolutely loved them!! We also tried your paleo pumpkin soup tonight too and it is delicious!! Thanks sooooo much! I will be trying all of your recipes.

1 Pings/Trackbacks for "Paleo 5 Minute Muffins – High Protein, Grain Free, Sugar Free!"
  1. [...] the fun stuff. Here are a few of the highlights from last week. 5 Minute High Protein Muffins from Tessa The Domestic Diva Frugal Pantry Storage Tips from Whole New Mom School Children Served Pink Slime for Lunch [...]