I have a good friend that likes to make a version of this salad that is fondly referred to as, “Crack Salad.” It is an apt name, as quinoa salad, in all it’s variations is incredibly delicious AND addicting!
Not that you need to shy away from gobbling this fresh salad: quinoa is one healthy little grain (technically it is a seed)! It is a complete protein (all 9 amino acids are there!), so no need to go surfing around for all your nutrients. It is also high in magnesium and fiber.
If you are unfamiliar with this grain, this is one of the best ways to enjoy it, even for the skeptics out there. With a slight nutty flavor, this grain is sure to please and people will be asking you for a recipe in no time flat!!
Does anyone else have a quinoa salad variation they love?
- Salad Ingredients:
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small 6" cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed, or about 1½ cups cooked
- 2 avocados, cubed
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar (your choice of cider, plain, or rice)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon honey or 3-4 drops liquid stevia
- 4 teaspoons chipotle puree (to taste)
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Place your quinoa in a fine mesh colander and rinse thoroughly. This removes the bitter coating that is not at all tasty or welcome, so do not be tempted to skip this step!
- In a medium sauce pan with a tight fitting lid, bring the water and rinsed quinoa to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, all the liquid should be absorbed. Set side to cool.
- Prepare your veggies.
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together, taste and adjust the chipotle and salt to your tastes if needed.
- Toss the cooled quinoa, veggies, beans. and dressing together. Chill in the fridge for a couple hours, if you can wait that long!
This recipe was shared on Mostly Homemade Mondays, Natural Living Mondays, Totally Talented Tuesdays, Fat Tuesday, Naturally Sweet Tuesday,GF & DIY Tuesdays, Hearth & Soul, Tasty Tuesdays, Waste Not Want Not, Wonderful Wednesday, GF Wednesday, Real Foods Wednesday, Wellness Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday, Thank Your Body Thursday, Pennywise Platter, GF Friday,