Mexican Quinoa Salad

Mexican Quinoa Salad - Gluten & Dairy FreeI have a good friend that likes to make a version of this salad that is fondly referred to as, “Crack Salad.”  It is an apt name, as quinoa salad, in all it’s variations is incredibly delicious AND addicting!

Not that you need to shy away from gobbling this fresh salad: quinoa is one healthy little grain (technically it is a seed)!  It is a complete protein (all 9 amino acids are there!), so no need to go surfing around for all your nutrients.  It is also high in magnesium and fiber.

If you are unfamiliar with this grain, this is one of the best ways to enjoy it, even for the skeptics out there.  With a slight nutty flavor, this grain is sure to please and people will be asking you for a recipe in no time flat!!

Does anyone else have a quinoa salad variation they love?

Mexican Quinoa Salad - Gluten & Dairy Free

Salad Ingredients:

• 1 cup quinoa
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 small 6″ cucumber, seeded and diced
  • 1 (14 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed, or about 1 1/2 cups cooked
  • 2 avocados, cubed

Dressing:

• 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons vinegar (your choice of cider, plain, or rice)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon honey or 3-4 drops liquid stevia
  • 4 teaspoons chipotle puree (to taste)
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Method:

1. Place your quinoa in a fine mesh colander and rinse thoroughly.  This removes the bitter coating that is not at all tasty or welcome, so do not be tempted to skip this step!
  2. In a medium sauce pan with a tight fitting lid, bring the water and rinsed quinoa to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes.  Remove from heat, all the liquid should be absorbed.  Set side to cool.
  3. Prepare your veggies.
  4. Whisk all the dressing ingredients together, taste and adjust the chipotle and salt to your tastes if needed.
  5. Toss the cooled quinoa, veggies, beans. and dressing together.  Chill in the fridge for a couple hours, if you can wait that long!

Mexican Quinoa Salad - Gluten & Dairy FreeThis recipe was shared on Mostly Homemade Mondays, Motivation Monday, Natural Living Monday, Make Your Own Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Tasteful Tuesdays, Hearth & Soul, Traditional Tuesday, Well Fed Wednesday, GF Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Real Foods Wednesday, Wildcrafting Wednesday, Healthy 2Day Wednesday,Pennywise Platter, Simple Lives Thursday, Thank Your Body Thursday, Tasty Traditions, Wellness Weekend, Whole Foods Friday, GF Fridays, Healthy Vegan Fridays, Simple Meals Friday, From the Farm, Potluck Party,

Tagged with: ,
Posted in Main Dish, Recipes 4 Everyday & Everyone, Sides & Salads, Vegan
29 comments on “Mexican Quinoa Salad
  1. Jane says:

Yum! This looks so good!

2. amber says:

Gorgeous salad, Tessa!

They have this salad in the deli (nearly the same) at my local Coop and I LOOOVEEE it. So awesome to have a recipe to make my own. Plus they add corn which is a big no-no for me.

Hope you’re having a great weekend.

Hugs,
    –Amber

3. We love Quinoa! Always looking for a good healthy recipe too! thanks for sharing! i found you at the Better Mom Blog hop. I’m following you now and hope you’ll check out my blog and follow me back!

4. Jasmine says:

This has been my favorite quinoa salad of late:

But I can’t wait to try yours!

5. Oh YUM! I want that now! The dressing sounds particularly amazing.

6. Just tried quinoa for the first time yesterday and it IS fabulous! Can’t wait to give this recipe a try…

7. Crack salad, now that made me laugh :) But very appropriate given how wonderful quinoa is. Love the Mexican flavors in this salad, so tasty! Thanks for sharing this with Summer Salad Sundays, look forward to seeing you again soon!

8. I love quinoa and making a salad is one of our favorite ways to use it. We linked up some of our favorite quinoa recipes on our most recipe TV Tuesdays on how to cook quinoa for beginners. http://www.beyondthepeel.net/2012/07/cooking-perfect-quinoa.html

Some quinoa brands come washed mine does and I love being able to skip the step ;)

9. I ADORE Quinoa! I actually just posted a Quinoa Mac & Cheese recipe, but I have LOTS of leftovers, and often make something very similar to your salad. Lunch tomorrow, I think!

xoxo
    Stop on by SalmonAtSeven and enter my launch giveaway!

10. Rachel says:

That looks sooooo good! I love quinoa salads! I’m definitely going to have to try yours!

11. Winnie says:

We looooooove quinoa, and this salad looks and sounds wonderful.
    Thanks so much for sharing this recipe :)

12. kitblu says:

I make tabbouleh with quinoa. It gets rave reviews and it is so healthy.

13. Jen says:

Love this time of year with all the fresh veggies. This looks yummy. Thanks for coming back and sharing with FF. :)

Your recipe looks awesome! Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.

15. Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back later tonight when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

16. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Your recipe has been chosen to be on Today’s Feature Post from Cast Party Wednesday! Thank You for sharing your recipe with us! Have a GREAT week!
    —Sheryl @ Lady Behind The Curtain—

17. Michelle says:

This looks great. I am going to go grocery shopping to get the ingredients this afternoon. Thanks for posting!

18. Carole says:

The subject of this week’s Food on Friday is Salad. It would be great if you linked this in. This is the link . I found this through Melt in Your Mouth Mondays

19. Kelly says:

That looks so delicious. I love salads made from grains!

20. Tammy Eakes says:

Super YUM! Can’t wait to try this :->
    Visiting from Allergy Free Wednesday. My link is for GF, V Espresso Protein Brownies. The link is http://noskinnies.com/blog/2013/6/18/best-espresso-brownie-bites-gluten-free-vegan-low-carb.
    Hope you’ll check it out! Thanks. http://www.NoSkinnies.com

21. Andrea says:

This recipe, like all of your recipes, looks fantastic! I bet that dressing would be good on a lot of different salads. I love the smokiness of chipotle peppers, and I can’t wait to try this.

Off to pin it. Thanks for sharing on Natural Living Monday!

22. Swathi says:

Delicious salad, thanks for sharing with Hearth and Soul blog hop.

23. Pure Ella says: