Crispy Paleo Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries

Sweet potato fries have always been a favorite of mine.  I have made more versions than I can shake a stick at, and let me tell you…regardless of the ingredients, it is the technique that has proven the key.  I have made this version so many times now, I am very confident sharing it with you.

Crisp on the outside, soft and tender on the inside….these are perfect oven baked sweet potato fry good potatoes were our perfect Paleo carb for enduring energy on high activity days.  We like to dip our fries in an almost Paleo dip of my homemade mayo and Sriacha ( a spicy Thai chili sauce)!

It hard to believe such simple ingredients can yield such scrumptious goodies, but they do!  Dig in!

Variations:  Once you have mastered a basic sweet potato fry, you get to play with seasonings!  Some ideas: minced garlic, Cajun Seasoning, Chipotle powder, chili powder, Italian seasoning.

Paleo Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries

• 4 smallish sweet potatoes (we prefer garnet), 6-8", 2-3" in diameter
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil or melted coconut oil (this amount is not an exact science..enough to make sure all your sweet potatoes are coated and glossy but not drowning!!
  • Salt to taste
  • Optional seasonings
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees and lightly grease 2 cookies sheets, or line with parchment.
  2. Peel your sweet potatoes, but do not rinse them, you need them dry so the oil adheres.
  3. Slice your sweet potatoes into french fries: no perfect way to do this, but keep the pieces equal in size and thickness. Fries should be between ½" and ¾" (go ahead and grab a ruler, I promise, no one will know!).
  4. In a large bowl, toss the fries with the olive oil, and any seasonings if you so choose. I wait to sprinkle salt when the potatoes are on the cookie sheet.
  5. Spread the fries out in a SINGLE LAYER on a cookie sheet (I always use two, and if I need to, three!) Do not crowd your fries unless you want them mooshy! All fries must keep their hands to their selves!
  6. Sprinkle the fries with salt.
  7. Place no more than two cookie sheets in the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
  8. Remove cookie sheets and using tongs, flip the fries over, they should be golden on the flipped side. Return the cookie sheets, flip flopping the cookie sheet positions.
  9. Cook for another 10-15 minutes until the fries are golden and crispy.

Like step by step pictures?!

Peeled, dry, and ready for transformation!

Halved and slicing to under 3/4″ thickness

Tossed and ready for the oven! Notice I gave each fry their own space!!

And ready for eating!

This recipe was shared on Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Mostly Homemade Mondays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Hearth & Soul, Tasteful Tuesday, Traditional Tuesday, Tuesday Greens, GF Tuesdays, GF Wednesday, Healthy 2Day Wednesday, Waste Not Want Not, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Whole Foods WednesdayThank Your Body, Tasty Traditions, Pennywise Platter, Simple Lives Thursday, Whole Foods Friday, GF Friday, Healthy Vegan Fridays,

Tagged with: , , ,
Posted in Grain Free/Paleo, Recipes 4 Everyday & Everyone, Sides & Salads, Vegan
62 comments on “Crispy Paleo Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries
  1. Dana says:

Thank you!!! I have been on a quest for some time to try and find a way to make them crisp. I have been buying them frozen from the store in defeat. I will try this, I just bought a bunch of sweet potatoes today!

2. Little Sis says:

These look delicious. I’ve tried a few times and have had soggy results. But these look so good, I’m tempted to give it another go. Thanks for sharing.

• Hi little sis, please try again! I have yet to have soggy results with this recipe!

• Mark says:

Most likely your oven isn’t hot enough. Try bumping it to 475 instead. If you want even tastier results, put a cup of coconut oil in a small saucepan at medium high, heat the oil to about 375 (drop a bit of water and it will splash and boil rapidly), then add the fries. Shake the saucepan every couple of minutes to make sure no sides of the fries are overdone. Once they have a dark orange-brown color pull them out and put them in a wire strainer over your saucepan and shake to remove the excess oil. Works perfectly every time.

3. Vicky says:

Tessa, these look lovely! I really love root vegetable fries baked in the oven!

4. France @ Beyond The Peel says:

I Freakin’ love sweet potato fries. They are my guilty pleasure.

5. Danielle@fresh4five says:

These looks so crisp Tessa…mine always seem to be hit or miss!

6. Cassidy @ Cooking Gluten (& Dairy) Free says:

OOOhhhh… I can’t wait to try these! Looks delicious, thanks!!!

7. Alison says:

Like you, I’ve tried a thousand different ways to get baked fries crisp, so I’m excited to try your method!

8. Cindy (Vegetarian Mamma) says:

YUM! I have been working on some sweet po recipes too! :) Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! What a fantastic link up of recipes and other GF goodies! Each week, I am so amazed! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) I hope that you’ll join us this week! Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

9. Erin Anne says:

Hello! Found you from Simply Indulgent Tuesday. We love sweet potato fries in our home, but I love your instructions on cutting them uniform. I usually cube them. Pinned!

10. Elise (frugal Farm Wife) says:

We made these for supper last night using salt and paprika for seasonings. So good!

11. Sue says:

If you have convection cooking on your oven, it might help make crisp, as it keeps air flow moving and helps with browning. Convection settings are usually 25 degree lower than the normal baking temperature. Some ovens automatically make that adjustment.

12. Robin @ Thank Your Body says:

This is perfect! I have sweet potato fries on the menu tomorrow, but I’ve never been able to get them crispy. Thank you!

I’d love it if you’d share this on my healthy living link-up: http://thankyourbody.com/thank-your-body-thursday-1/

13. Katie @ Mexican Wildflower says:

I added these to my menu plans this week! Thanks for sharing with Simple Lives Thursday!

14. randel says:

would it work to lay out each raw fry on a cooling rack set on the cookie sheet thereby eliminating the need to turn?

15. Amanda @Natural Living Mamma says:

We make these all the time! My daughter gobbles them up. We also like to add rosemary, sea salt, and garlic powder to them. They are amazing!

Thanks for sharing on Natural Living Monday! I am excited to see what you have to share this week!

16. emily says:

I love sweet potato fries. Well done! Thanks for linking up to Tasteful Tuesdays at Nap-Time Creations. YOU are being featured at this weeks party. Come on over and check it out. The link goes live tonight at 8:30 pm central time. http://www.nap-timecreations.com/2012/10/pull-apart-pumpkin-maple-bread-and.html

17. Linda says:

Such a simple and delicious recipe! Fries are the only way my husband really likes to eat sweet potatoes. Thanks for linking this up for October’s sweet potato theme.

18. Robin @ Thank Your Body says:

So I made these last week. So good! Thanks for the recipe. I shared this on my facebook page today.

19. April @ The 21st Century Housewife says:

I love sweet potato fries but have never made them at home so they have always been fried. I really like your baked version. They look so delicious!

20. Cindy (Vegetarian Mamma) says:

Tessa, I love these fries SO much I am featuring them as a side on my menu plan (tomorrow) at startglutenfree.com They will be listed by name with a direct link back to this post! :) Cindy

21. Kaley says:

These were amazing!!! Made them tonight and they were crispy and great. You’re right that it is important to space them out like you did and to flip them halfway thru cooking. I made 3 pans- 2 I spaced out like you said and the other I got lazy and decided to just dump them together and see what happened (and stir them around half way through). Well the spaced out fries turned out so perfect, the non spaced fries turned out ok but mushy and not very browned.. Keeping this recipe forever. My first time making SPF! Yum

22. Justin says:

These are so good!!! I was coming off a 5 day juicing fast and could only have vegetables I had juiced. I wanted crispy sweet potato fries to be my first “snack” and your recipe more than lived up to my expectations. Thanks Tessa!

23. Jaymie says:

I accidently burnt the first batch (oops)…however, I rebaked and they turned out perfect. This recipe is fantastic.

24. Rebecca says:

I have had very bad luck with these in the past. I made your recipe tonight, and even after a little snafu they were still really good. I had just flipped them when the offspring called and needed a ride home. I turned off the oven and left the door open to vent the heat out. When I got home I turned the oven back on and cooked for another 10 minutes. They weren’t perfect, but I could tell that if I had followed the directions they would have been fabulous. They were still really, really good. I will definitely be making these again when I have time with no interruptions!!

25. Marie says:

I made these today, and while they tasted absolutely wonderful (even my 6-mo old ate six, without salt of course), they did not come out very crispy, except for the ends of each fry. I followed directions, no washing, coating each fry with oil, spacing them out, baking with convection oven on, and flipping them half way through. I’m not sure where it went wrong. Maybe the type of sweet potato? I just used whichever organic bag was there at trader joes. Any ideas? I’d love to try these again!

• Best guess would be the size you cut them…you probably just needed to cook them longer Marie! They need to be golden when you flip on the underside, were they?

• Marie says:

Thanks for the feedback. I must admit, I did use a measuring tape to cut the fries. :) They were golden when I turned them over. I’ll try them again, and bake them a little longer. They really were delicious!

26. Steve T says:

Perfect first time! Best way to enjoy sweet potato. Even better than sweet potato and spinach mash! I enjoyed them so much at 6pm that I did them again at 9pm!! Thanks!

27. Sara says:

Made these for dinner tonight, they were a big hit. They whole family loved them.

28. Jennifer says:

This is a great recipe it was the first time that I’ve made sweet potatoes and they were not Soggy way to go!

29. CRISPY CRISPY! <3 I love making these with butternut squash!

30. Becky says:

Fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing this on Tuesday Greens. I’ll be sharing it on my FB fan page later this week.

31. Amazing for this time of year! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

Hope your week is great!

Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

32. I made these and they were definitely crispy!!! I only did one potato, and at 450, it was a little too hot.. They got a little TOO crispy. The next batch will be perfection. Thank you for the recipe!

33. Lori says:

Just made these and they were AWESOME. I tried two cooking methods: 1 on a stoneware cookie sheet and one on a broiler rack. The ones on the rack came out crispier and tastier.

34. Crystal says:

Definitely making these tonight! Has anyone tried freezing them?