I finally figured it out. I have made several gluten free hot cereals…but none closely resembled the cream of wheat I remember so fondly from my youth.
Then we figured out that oats were out too (grrr!!), and so a favorite breakfast was removed for two of my kiddos. Beyond frustrating.
In a very annoyed moment, I set about to make some sort of hot cereal for my son. I grabbed a bit of some the things I had on hand, and cooked it up. The results are the closest thing to Cream of Wheat I have tasted since going gluten free.
And my son loved it so much, I now pre-grind a whole big batch and store it ready to go in a mason jar. Take some time to track these ingredients down, I have linked to my sources for you. Coincidentally, I use these same whole grains for our favorite Soaked Teff-Millet Bread, so you can try THAT recipe too!
I also have two other gluten free hot cereal recipes:
- 3 tablespoons short grain brown rice
- 2 tablespoons millet
- 1½ tablespoons teff
- 2 (scant) cups liquid, I use half non-dairy milk, half water
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- Optional Add Ins: Coconut butter, raisins, butter, cinnamon, stevia, maple syrup, etc
- Place all grains in a clean coffee grinder and grind until mostly powdery, but not flour...you want some graininess in there to mimic the cream of wheat texture, see picture!)
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the remaining ingredients along with the pulverized grains.
- Bring to a simmer over medium low heat, stirring frequently so there are no lumps.
- The cereal will begin to cook and thicken. Length of time you cook is based on your preference, but about 10-15 minutes is needed. The cereal DOES thicken a bit as it cools.
This recipe was shared on Natural Living Monday, Mostly Homemade Monday, Fat Tuesday,Tuesday Talent Show, Totally Talented Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesdays, Hearth & Soul, Gluten Free Wednesdays, Waste Not Want Not, Wildcrafting Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Fresh Foods Wednesday, Wellness Wednesdays, Full Plate Thursday, Thriving on Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Whole Foods Friday, GF Friday, Real Foods Friday, Fight Back Friday, Simple Meals Friday, Savouring Saturday,