These healthy gluten free banana chocolate chip muffins are loaded with good-for-you ingredients and have a lovely, soft crumb! They also have zero eggs, so they are perfect for those with egg allergies or following a vegan diet!
With super wholesome ingredients like quinoa flour, raw buckwheat groats, and coconut flour, these are a muffin you can serve for a healthy snack or breakfast!
Ultra moist, soft crumb, just sweet. No starches, no gums, and low sugar. Could it even taste good? You betcha!
This recipe was originally called Banana, Chocolate, and Hazelnut Muffins. They were truly delicious. I made a batch for my friend with many a tweaks…but those tweaks included ghee, eggs, and hazelnuts: WAY off-limits to my son. Of course, I wasn’t about to let my cutie pie sit on the sidelines while everyone else enjoyed a muffin for snack time!
So I continued my tweaking to make a batch also free of eggs and nuts for him. Let me share with you my changes to the recipe, and the reasoning behind my choices!
Gluten free banana chocolate chip muffin recipe substitutions:
- Butter: Casein is a no in our family, so I used grass fed ghee for my friend’s batch. For my son, we used all coconut oil as it is one the healthiest dairy-free fats out there and is solid like butter. Any of three options will work in this recipe.
- Eggs: We love eggs, but my son keeps reacting to them, even in baked goods. So for his batch, I left these out. I knew the bananas would replace the egg’s binding properties well enough, but I needed to provide some additional lift. I increased the leavening (baking powder and/or soda) and use an acid (vinegar) to provide some additional oompf! Isn’t chemistry great?
- Blonde Cane Sugar: I don’t even have any cane sugar in the house anymore. Both batches I used coconut palm sugar, a healthier, lower glycemic sweetener I use often. But organic cane sugar is totally acceptable if that is what you have!
- Whole Milk Yogurt: Again with the casein: we used coconut milk yogurt, you can use any preferred yogurt.
- Quinoa Flour: I hated quinoa flour until I learned a little trick this last summer: toast it! This neutralizes the tannins which are bitter. Now quinoa flour is well loved by all in our family, no off-tasting baked goods. I highly recommend it and it is higher in protein than most grains: always nice! Since I buy pre-ground flour, I put a whole 18oz bag of flour on a cookie sheet and place it in a 325 degree oven for abut 30 minutes…stirring a couple of times. It should be turning golden and smell toasted!
- Buckwheat Flour: I don’t mind buckwheat flour (which is ground from toasted buckwheat groats), but my kids won’t go for it: it has a very distinct flavor. I use raw buckwheat groats that I find in the bulk food section of my Whole Foods. These are much more mild in flavor and I can pass it off unnoticed on my kids. It is easy to whir the groats in your blender or a coffee grinder to make a flour.
- Hazelnut Flour: This was delicious in my friend’s batch, but to make it nut free, I looked to another dense flour: coconut. I had to use less, as coconut flour absorbs a lot more liquid than hazelnut flour!
So there you have it: a little window into my brain as I make recipes work for my family and a bit of the baking science behind it! We all know I LOVE to bake! I blame my mom for that one…we did an awful lot of baking together growing up, it is one of my fondest memories. I hope my kids learn to love it as much as me!
We love these healthy gluten free banana chocolate chip muffins, and hope you do too.
More healthy banana recipes that you may like to try:
- So quick to get in the oven all in your blender: Paleo 5 Minute Muffins
- Gluten Free Banana Muffins with CRUNCH! Come see how creatively use a unique (nut free) ingredient for a pleasing crunchy texture.
- Gluten Free Vegan Banana Bread has been made and loved by many!
- These Banana Oatmeal Banana Muffins look quick and easy.
Gluten Free Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe:
If you try these gluten free banana muffins, be sure to come back and leave a comment below!
Banana Chocolate Muffins - Gluten Free, Vegan, & Super Nutritious!
Wholesome and allergy friendly, these gluten free banana muffins free of the top 8 allergens!
- 3 average over-ripe bananas lots of brown spots
- 1/2 cup coconut oil solid (ghee or butter would work too)
- 1/2 cup palm sugar
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt I used coconut-milk yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons vinegar or lemon juice, this helps with rise
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup TOASTED quinoa flour see above notes in post for how-to
- 1/2 cup freshly ground buckwheat groats grind in your blender or coffee grinder to achieve a flour-like consistency. OR gf rolled oats.
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate pieces or chips
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts (optional)
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
In a bowl of a stand mixer, beat the bananas, coconut oil, sugar, yogurt, vinegar, and vanilla on high speed until relatively smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.
With the mixer still on medium, sprinkle in the baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Continue with the mixer on medium: add each of the flours. Scrape the sides if necessary, and beat until smooth.
Add in dark chocolate and hazelnuts if using and mix gently to incorporate.
In a prepared muffin tin, evenly distribute the batter amongst all 12 cups.
Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until the tops are just set/firm.