Easy Chili – Paleo/Vegan Options

Easy Chili - Paleo/Vegan Options

Never underestimate the power of ease in the life of a mom. Sometimes it’s all we can do to get a meal on the table, and it is certainly nice to have some recipes in your repertoire that you’re likely to have all the ingredients on hand to throw together at the last minute.

The beauty of chili is that you can clean your fridge of all sorts of things as it is so easy to adapt.  A red pepper on it’s last limpy leg?  Throw it in!  No ground beef but a lump of some strange meat starting to collect frost in the recesses of the freezer..perfect!  No meat, well that’s no big deal either, add some diced veggies! And don’t want to store any unused onion, throw the whole thing in.

Here’s an easy recipe I build from, only changing it to use up necessary items or satisfy some culinary whim!

I like to serve this with either my biscuits or my Corn-Free Cornbread!

Easy Chili

• 2 pounds ground beef. For a vegan version, replace with another can of beans, and 2 cups chopped, sauteed veggies of choice (I like bell pepper, onions, celery, and carrot)
  • ½ onion, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 t minced garlic
  • 2½ cups tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes (I puree canned diced tomatoes sometimes with my immersion blender)
  • 1 (8 ounce) jar salsa ( I use Trader Joe's Rustica)
  • 4 tablespoons chili powder (I use Fiesta salt-free seasoning from the bulk spices, my favorite chili powder)
  • 2 cans pinto beans (or any beans of your choice!). For a Paleo version, replace with 2 cups stew meat cubes, more ground beef, or chopped veggies of choice.
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Optional garnishes: lime wedges, avocado, shredded Daiya cheese, feta, hot sauce, pickled jalepeños.
  1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the ground beef and the onion and saute for 10 minutes, or until meat is browned and onion is tender.
  2. Drain grease, if desired.
  3. Add the ground black pepper, garlic, tomato, salsa, chili seasoning mix and beans. Mix well, reduce heat to low and simmer for at least an hour. (If using stew meat, simmer until meat is tender)

Easy Chili - Paleo/Vegan Options

Tagged with: , ,
Posted in Grain Free/Paleo, Main Dish, Recipes 4 Everyday & Everyone, Soups
12 comments on “Easy Chili – Paleo/Vegan Options
  1. klmoreno says:

My hubby quotes: "This is the best bowl of chili I've ever had."- Don't let the simplicity fool you! We used 'Salsa Authentica' jarred salsa from Trader Joes.

2. Katherine @ Green Thickies says:

That looks great. I am compiling my own recipe family book at the moment so I always have a simple recipe on hand.

This chili looks lovely. I wouldn’t have thought to add salsa to it. Yum!

3. Diane Balch says:

This looks great my kids are really into chili these days.

4. Katy@girlgonecountry.com says:

This looks yummy!

5. Mary Hudak-Collins says:

Sounds yummy! We go through a lot of Chili in the cold months…white or traditional. Thanks for sharing :)

6. Wenchypoo says:

On DD&D, this recipe is billed as being Paleo–with the inclusion of 2 cans of beans, it most certainly is NOT, as Paleos don’t consume beans, or grains, or dairy.

• Hi Wendy…yes, beans are a no-no with Paleo…which is why I offer a suggestion on replacing them with additional meat…are you looking for vegan AND Paleo? I haven’t made the chili this way yet, but imagine a ton of veggies could work, maybe with some sweet potato as something substantial. Paleo AND vegan is a whole new beast and one I have not encountered often. Sorry if this was confusing for you. I currently make this chili with the Paleo options suggested!

7. Maryann says:

that looks yummy.

8. Cindy (Vegetarian Mamma) says:

Sounds fantastic to me, thank you for including a vegan idea as well! We have been having such great recipes at our Gluten Free Fridays parties! I really appreciate you being part of the link up and part of the community! :)

Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)
    I hope to see you again this week!

See you next week!

Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

9. Judy @Savoring Today says:

Really like the garnish of avocado and feta – so good on chili! Thanks for sharing on Hearth & Soul Hop. :)

10. Kristi says:

HI Tessa,
    This looks fantastic and nourishing and perfect for pregnant or breastfeeding mothers. Would you be willing to post this to my food blog carnival geared towards new mothers?

Thanks!!

11. Rebecca says:

I just love your description of your last red pepper ‘on its last limpy leg';-)

1 Pings/Trackbacks for "Easy Chili – Paleo/Vegan Options"
  1. […] was making a pot of my Easy Chili and wanted to have some cornbread to go with it.  Of course, that was a bit of problem since […]