Arroz con Pollo – A Gluten & Dairy Free Chicken & Rice Dish

Arroz con Pollo - A gluten & Dairy Free Chicken & Rice Dish

Chicken and rice…a perfect match.  Comfort food.  My version is very Mexican-inspired.  I make it more mild since having kids so they will eat it too, but my husband and I are always sure to have some pickled jalapeños, or rajas as I called them while living in Mexico one summer.  I always have the ingredients on hand, and the whole family digs it, I hope you find it yummy too!

Arroz con Pollo - A gluten & Dairy Free Chicken & Rice Dish

Arroz con Pollo

• 1 tablespoon fat of choice
  • 1 small onion, diced fine
  • 1 tablespoon achiote (optional, found in Mexican markets)
  • 1 pound boneless skinless chicken (breasts or thighs), chopped into bite size pieces
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 cup white long grain rice
  • 1 tablespoon Fiesta Chili Powder (this is a salt-free seasoning found in most bulk spice sections)
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • ½ teaspoon salt (to taste)
  • 14 oz can tomato sauce, tomato puree, or petite tomatoes (I puree a can of diced tomatoes with my immersion blender as my kids do not like big chunks of tomatoes)
  • 1¼ cups chicken broth
  • Garnish options: Grated cheese or Daiya shreds, diced avocado,chopped tomatoes, pickled jalapeños, chopped cilantro, lime wedges, tortillas (I use brown rice tortillas, but use whatever your family enjoys!)
  1. Heat oil in a large pan (with a tight fitting lid).
  2. Saute onion for a couple of minutes to soften.
  3. Stir in the achiote if you are using.
  4. Add in the rice. You want the rice to start to toast a bit, this adds more flavor.
  5. Add in the chicken, garlic, and spices, saute a few minutes more.
  6. Stir in tomato sauce and chicken broth.
  7. Give a good stir to mix well, and bring to a boil.
  8. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until the liquid is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes.
  9. Serve with the garnishes!

Arroz con Pollo - A gluten & Dairy Free Chicken & Rice Dish

This post was shared on Hearth & Soul, Traditional Tuesdays, Eco Kids, Tuesday Greens, GF Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Health 2Day Wednesday, Seasonal Celebration, Wildcrafting Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesdays, Thank Your Body Thursday, Tasty Traditions, Pennywise Platter, Full Plate Thursday, Fresh Bite FridayFight Back FridayWhole Foods Friday, Simple Meals Friday, Wheat-Free Wednesday,, Well Fed Wednesday,Tuned In Tuesday Waste Not Want Not Wednesday,Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Tasteful Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday,

Tagged with: ,
Posted in Main Dish, Recipes 4 Everyday & Everyone
14 comments on “Arroz con Pollo – A Gluten & Dairy Free Chicken & Rice Dish
  1. Stacy says:

Ok, this maybe a stupid question but is the rice already cooked?

2. Tessa says:

no, it cooks in the pan when it simmers!

3. Anonymous says:

My family loves this simple, comforting meal. After traveling home from the long weekend,it was nice to have a yummy, yet simple meal to make! **Also used fresh lime with the avacado/cilantro garnish. Delish! Kirsten

4. Maria says:

Being from Colombia, South America, this is an easy and delicious dish which we make often in our household, albeit with the addition of peas, carrots, and French cut green beans. My grandmother’s secret ingredient for this dish is about a tablespoon of very finely chopped capers and a tiny pinch of curry powder, although that is her own spin on the traditional recipe. For me arroz con pollo is my comfort food, I’ve been eating it my whole life!

• The capers make me think of my picadillo recipe, another favorite chicken and rice dish! I love all the variations and possibilities!! Thanks for stopping by Maria…mucho gusto ‘conocerte’!

We will love the combination of flavor for this dish. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday and have a great weekend.

6. I love that you only have to dirty one dish to make this and it looks so wonderful! Happy Easter and thanks so much for sharing this on WNWNW, Tessa. I’ve pinned it :)

7. This looks great!

Thank you for sharing this on Tuned-in Tuesday Blog Hop! Looking forward to seeing what you have to share tomorrow! http://www.healthyrootshappysoul.com/2013/03/tuned-in-tuesday-blog-hop-3.html

8. I love your version of this classic dish. You’ve used some wonderful flavours, and it looks absolutely scrumptious.

9. Linda says:

This is a great easy dinner. I used to make it when camping. Thanks for sharing it, Tessa.

10. Lisa Lynn says:

This would be yummy with some of my home raised chickens :) Thanks for sharing this on Wildcrafting Wednesday! Hope to see you again today!

If you have time, I’d love to have you join me on The HomeAcre Hop on Thursday too…we’ll be announcing a new giveaway you’re sure to appreciate!

11. Thanks for linking up at Gluten Free Fridays! I pinned this! :)

12. Becky says:

This looks like a good one to keep in the meal plan rotation. Thanks for sharing on Tuesday Greens!

13. Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back tomorrow when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)