I LOVE banana bread. It lets me use up any bananas retired to the freezer (I only like slightly green bananas for eating raw), it’s wholesome, it’s comfort. I had a favorite recipe before going allergen free, so this was an important recipe for me to makeover. I hope you agree, the results are fabulous!
TIP: When bananas get past their prime for eating fresh, put them in the freezer!! I like to peel mine and put them in a Ziploc bag for quick and easy additions to smoothies. I usually leave some in their peel to remove and thaw in the sink for banana bread, or any baked good with mashed banana. This always heightens the banana flavor!!
FLOUR NOTE: I have provided lots of options for flour here. While all mixes work, the end taste will change with each flour, each enjoyable in their own right. I love toasted quinoa flour, it cuts the yucky bitterness I always found so off-putting about it in the past. Simply toast the flour in a 325 degree oven until golden brown. Toasting whole quinoa and grinding also works.
Makes about 12 slices or muffins (about 272 calories each)
- 8 tablespoons softened coconut oil (or use a preferred butter)
- ½ cup palm sugar plus an additional ¼ to taste, will depend on the sweetness of your bananas and your taste preference! If I need more sweetness beyond the ½ cup, I use liquid stevia drops.
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4-5 very ripe bananas (lots of black spots, or thawed over-ripe ones from the freezer, or about 1¼ cup to 1½ cup mashed banana)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¾ cup sorghum or gf oat flour
- ½ cup toasted quinoa flour, brown rice, or sorghum
- ½ cup tapioca starch (or any starch flour)
- (or omit the above flours and substitute apx 2 cups any wheat flour, I prefer whole wheat pastry flour)
- 3 tablespoons flax meal or 2T chia meal
- 2 teaspoons grain free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Optional add ins: chopped nuts, unsweetened coconut (grated), chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a loaf pan, or several mini pans.
- Beat the coconut oil or butter and sugars until smooth.
- Beat in the bananas , vanilla, and lemon juice.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together, and mix into the banana mixture until smooth. Batter should be a very typical quick bread consistency, thick enough to have to coax it out of the bowl into the pan. Add a bit more flour is needed.
- Pour into prepared pans, bake until golden brown and knife inserted in middle comes out clean: about 50 minutes for a large loaf pan, 30 minutes for a mini loaf pan, or 18-20 minutes for muffins.