I know have told you before: chocolate chip cookies have a special place in our family’s heart.
I think you could call us connoisseurs, or even cookie snobs if you like. We love our cookies (for better or worse!)
This recipe did not start out as an attempt to make chocolate chip cookies, nope!! I was after a cookie crust for a lemon bar. I was perusing a lovely, idea-inspiring cookbook called Allergy Proof Recipes for Kids, and stumbled upon a recipe referred to as “Brown Sugar Dough.” and figured it would work well. I inadvertently made a whole batch instead of half, so I had extra to play with.
After tasting the first batch, I made a few tweaks, added some chocolate chips, and, VOILA!! The best real-chocolate chip cookie tasting but completely allergen free version of any cookie I have tried (made or bought) yet!! I had several people test them out who have no sensitivities, and they thought they were lovely…the perfect texture AND taste. One bite of these, and you won’t believe they are allergen free, or that it took so few ingredients and was so easy to make! Trust me on this one, you won’t be disappointed!
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup palm sugar or brown sugar
- 3/4 cup xylitol or cane suagr
- 1/2 cup Spectrum Palm Shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons (or more) non-dairy milk
- 9 oz chocolate chips (I used a dairy free dark chocolate chip)
TIP: This dough comes together more like a shortbread recipe than a drop cookie, fyi.
- In a large bowl, whisk all dry ingredients together.
- Cut in the shortening using a pastry blender. Alternately you could pulse all the ingredients in a food processor until mixtures resembles cornmeal.
- Mix in the milk and vanilla (and molasses if using). Refer to the pictures, the dough should not come together completely until you press it together. Add more milk if you need to, the dough is NOT as dry as a pie crust, if you grab a ball and squeeze, it should come together easily.
- Form balls roughly the size of golf balls, place on cookie sheet and flatten. There is no leavening in these, so make them look like a cooked cookie would look before they go into the oven!
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 14-15 minutes until just golden, this way they will be crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside.
This recipe was shared on Chocolate-Covered Katie, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesdays, Fat Tuesdays, Hearth & Soul, Made From Scratch Monday, Gluten Free Wednesday, Cast Party Wednesday, Kids in the Kitchen, Healthy 2Day Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Whole Foods Wednesday, Pennywise Platter, Simple Lives Thursday, Keep It Real Thursdays, Wellness Weekend, Gluten Free Fridays, Whole Foods Friday, Fresh Bites Friday, Foodie Friday, Healthy Vegan Fridays, Monday Mania, Made From Scratch Monday, Melt In Your Mouth Monday, The Better Mom’s Linky, Make Your Own Monday,Tasteful Tuesdays, Fat Tuesday, Slight Indulgent Tuesdays