Healthier Dairy Free Scalloped Potatoes

Dairy-Free Scalloped Potatoes

It doesn’t matter if you can eat whatever your little heart desires…these scalloped potatoes are delicious in their own right.

I consider it an added bonus that they are allergen friendly.

Although I have tweaked it, I first went digging for a recipe and found one on Go Dairy Free, a really lovely website, and her cookbook by the same name is indispensable for those learning to cut out the moo-cow ingredients in their lives.  I would have given a lot to have such a reference at my fingertips when I first cut out dairy!

This recipe really pleased everyone, and I couldn’t wait to eat it again the next day for leftovers (and potatoes aren’t even my thing).  As I polished off the last morsels, I longingly wished for more….and I am sure you will too!

MAKE AHEAD TIP: This recipe lends itself to making in advance and baking it when you are ready!  make the whole dish then cover and refrigerate until ready to bake!
INGREDIENT NOTE:  I use my own homemade mayonnaise in this recipe.  Commercial mayonnaise has all sorts of weird fillers and unhealthy oils….often soybean oil which is pretty much guaranteed to be GMO.  I like to make my own:  it is SO easy, tastes FAR FAR better, and has NO scary ingredients.  There are plenty of vegan mayo recipes out there with the same technique, here a couple to check out if eggs are an issue for you”  Cybele’s Rice Milk Mayo (any milk would work) and a submission to AFW: Portuguese Milk Mayo.
Dairy-Free Scalloped Potatoes

Healthy Dairy Free Scalloped Potatoes

• 3 tablespoons Earth Balance Margarine or butter
  • ¼ cup brown rice flour (or all-purpose)
  • 1¾ cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
  • ¼ cup allowed mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (found in bulk-food section on natural food stores)
  • 1 tablespoon tahini
  • 1 teaspoon rice vinegar (or other light vinegar), or more to taste
  • 5 large potatoes (I used yellow and red)
  • 1 onion, chopped finely
  • Paprika for sprinkling (I prefer smoked)
  1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk all the ingredients through the rice vinegar, whisking constantly until bubbly and thick.
  2. Slice the potatoes paper thin. You can use a mandolin for this, or your food processor with the slicing attachment (my favorite small appliance!) You could also do this by hand, but getting them very thin and even is much more difficult! Mix the potatoes and onions in a greased 11x17pan.
  3. Pour the sauce over the potatoes. I have used different sized pans for this, and I adjust the time for cooking up or down as necessary. Most important is to have fork-tender potatoes at the end!
  4. Sprinkle with the paprika.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 1-1/2 hours until bubbly and golden.

Healthier Dairy-Free Scalloped Potatoes

This recipe was shared on  Natural Living Monday, Mostly Homemade Monday,  Fat Tuesday,Tuesday Talent Show, Totally Talented TuesdaysTasty Tuesdays Hearth & SoulGluten Free Wednesdays, Waste Not Want Not, Wildcrafting WednesdayReal Food Wednesday, Fresh Foods Wednesday,  Wellness Wednesdays,  Full Plate Thursday,  Simple Lives ThursdayPennywise Platter, Whole Foods Friday, GF FridayReal Foods Friday, Fight Back Friday, Simple Meals Friday, Savouring Saturday,

Tagged with: ,
Posted in Sides & Salads, Vegan
15 comments on “Healthier Dairy Free Scalloped Potatoes
  1. Chaya says:

I am a potato gal and I love these and have featured the recipe on My Meatless Mondays. Thanks for sharing it with ut.

2. Thank YOU Chaya for stopping by!

3. Linda says:

I love how you made it dairy free. It sure looks like normal scalloped potatoes. I need to remember to use nutritional yeast more often.

4. CassidyS says:

This looks great – I'm printing it off right now!

5. Hope you all like them as much as we do!

6. Mmm. Those do sound good. I love the flavor of rice wine vinegar and nutritional yeast! Can’t wait to try them!

7. What a lovely dairy free version of this classic! Your scalloped potatoes look and sound delicious.

8. Alix says:

These look do good. I need to make them! Thank you for linking up with Wildcrafting Wednesdays!

9. Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back tomorrow when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

Good Morning,
    Thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a lovely week and come back soon!

11. Yum, these look very good! Thank you for sharing your post with us and I hope to welcome you over at Seasonal Celebration again today! Rebecca @Natural Mothers Network x

12. Oh, yum! I like that you can make ahead and bake when you are ready! :) Got this tweeted and pinned to our Gluten Free Fridays board! Thanks for linking up!

13. Carie Spence says:

I am so glad I found this! I can not have dairy but I used to love scalloped potatoes so I am excited to try this!
    Carie Spence recently posted…Strawberry-Lemon Custard PieMy Profile

Your healthy Scalloped Potatoes look fantastic. Hope you had a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Have a good week and come back soon!
    Miz Helen recently posted…Orange Tea MuffinsMy Profile