It doesn’t matter if you can eat whatever your little heart desires…these scalloped potatoes are delicious in their own right.
I consider it an added bonus that they are allergen friendly.
Although I have tweaked it, I first went digging for a recipe and found one on Go Dairy Free, a really lovely website, and her cookbook by the same name is indispensable for those learning to cut out the moo-cow ingredients in their lives. I would have given a lot to have such a reference at my fingertips when I first cut out dairy!
This recipe really pleased everyone, and I couldn’t wait to eat it again the next day for leftovers (and potatoes aren’t even my thing). As I polished off the last morsels, I longingly wished for more….and I am sure you will too!
- 3 tablespoons Earth Balance Margarine or butter
- ¼ cup brown rice flour (or all-purpose)
- 1¾ cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- ¼ cup allowed mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (found in bulk-food section on natural food stores)
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar (or other light vinegar), or more to taste
- 5 large potatoes (I used yellow and red)
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- Paprika for sprinkling (I prefer smoked)
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk all the ingredients through the rice vinegar, whisking constantly until bubbly and thick.
- Slice the potatoes paper thin. You can use a mandolin for this, or your food processor with the slicing attachment (my favorite small appliance!) You could also do this by hand, but getting them very thin and even is much more difficult! Mix the potatoes and onions in a greased 11x17pan.
- Pour the sauce over the potatoes. I have used different sized pans for this, and I adjust the time for cooking up or down as necessary. Most important is to have fork-tender potatoes at the end!
- Sprinkle with the paprika.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1-1/2 hours until bubbly and golden.
This recipe was shared on Healthy Vegan Fridays, Simple Meals Friday, My Meatless Monday, Make Your OWn Monday, Natural Living Monday, Tasteful Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Hearth & Soul, Fat Tuesday, GF Wednesday, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Kids in the Kitchen, Healthy 2Day Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Wildcrafting Wednesday, Pennywise Platter, Full Plate Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Thank Your Body Thursday, Tasty Traditions, GF Fridays, Wellness Weekends, Fight Back Friday, Fresh Bites Friday, Whole Foods Friday,