Gluten free cube steaks in gravy. Easily Paleo, keto, and Whole 30 compliant., and all done in the speed and convenience of your Instant Pot should you choose!
Like any person who is trying to save a buck and still put money where their mouth is…when you stumble across a good deal on meat…even if it is not a standby for you, you pick it up.
This is what happened to me. My local store was carrying local, grass-fed cube steaks for $3.99/pound – a great deal for responsible beef. I didn’t know exactly what I was going to do with it, but that is part of the adventure for me. A gluten free cube steak recipe was needed!
While we have many standby foods in our family, I love to hunt out new and interesting recipes, weekly. I anxiously await the results of a new recipe with baited breath…it’s almost like Christmas for me….every time!!
Most people I know can’t believe I do so many new recipes in a week….but it is my passion and my love. I found inspiration for this recipe at allrecipes.com. It looked so simple, and all the positive ratings made it a shoe-in for me. I tweaked proportions, and of course made it gluten free, and then worked with it to make it in the Instant Pot in a fraction of the time!! I have since made these gluten free cube steaks low-carb too!
The result? One very easy and very delicious dinner.
We have made this two times already….tender meat, savory gravy, almost no effort? What’s not to love?! Serve over rice, noodles, or on a bed of cauli rice or mashed potatoes. With a simple side of steamed broccoli….perfect dinner!
Use any grain free flour to thicken, I like cassava flour (not low carb). You can also just leave the flour out entirely and you will have a thinner, but still delicious gravy! Tapioca starch (or any starch) is an acceptable replacement to use at the very end to thicken the gravy should you choose, 2 teaspoons mixed with 2 tablespoons water and whisked into the liquid at the end of cooking time.
What some additional Instant Pot recipes? Here are a couple to try:
- Keto Instant Pot Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
- Paleo Thai Carrot Soup
- Paleo Creamy Pumpkin Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Adobo – Paleo, Keto, Whole 30
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. (Instant Pot direction follow)
- Preheat a pan to medium high for browning the steaks.
- Mix the flours and seasonings together.
- Press the cube steaks into the flour mixture, firmly, thoroughly coating each side. Reserve remaining coating.
- Add the oil to the preheated pan, swirling to evenly distribute. Brown the coated steaks, a couple of minutes per side until golden brown.
- Place the steaks in a oven-safe pan, I used both a pie plate and a small rectangle pan with success. In these pictures, I thought to use one of my Flexipans by Demarle...my husband was quite happy at clean up time...just wiped it out with some soapy water!
- Whisk 3 tablespoons coating mixture into the beef broth and pour over the steaks.
- Bake for 1 to 1½ hours until the steaks are tender and the gravy is thick.
- INSTANT POT? Use the saute button to brown the coated steaks, I use a pan too so as not to crowd the pan and save time.
- Sprinkle the 3 tablespoons of the leftover coating over the top of all the pieces, then pour in the beef broth. Gently stir to ensure all flour is mixed with broth. Lock lid. Set to 'manual' for 15 minutes. Quick release pressure, remove lid, enjoy!