A sneaky way to get your pizza fix with no dairy and no grains. This dish is so darn convincing, that my super picky veggie-averse children even gobbled this down. And not just the first time: we have made this four times already! A delicious, comforting casserole perfect just about anytime of the year!
I have have found so many new and delicious ideas via our Allergy Free Wednesday blog hop. Here is yet another recipe inspired by one of our regular contributors, Amanda over at Writing in White. When my husband and I first started a grain free focus, I was scouring all sorts of places for dinner ideas…after all….dinner in my house also equals lunch the next day.
Anything that resembles pizza is definitely worth a try since my kids happily consume just about any pizza in any form.
Every single person who has had this dish LOVES it, and asks for the recipe…so TRUST ME!
Spaghetti Squash may be new to some of you, but this simple, mild squash has a lovely little secret: when cooked al dente, the squash shreds in to noodlely (not a word, sue me!) threads that resemble noodles…but better! With only 40 calories a cup….and no difficult grains to digest, this casserole is a low-carb gem.
Dig in people…any dish so loaded with veggies and flavor should be a must on our menus!
INGREDIENT NOTE: To roast a spaghetti squash, please see my post on how to PERFECTLY cook your squash!
You can also check out another hearty dinner using this great low-carb noodle: Paleo/Keto Pesto Spaghetti w/ Crispy Bacon & Chicken!
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef
- 8 ounces chopped pepperoni, divided (we like Applegate Farms w/ no nitrates and dairy free)
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt(or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon EACH oregano, basil, and thyme
- 4 cups roasted spaghetti squash noodles (apx, see cooking notes above)
- 2 cups favorite spaghetti sauce - we use my Homemade Blender Pasta Sauce
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup Daiya mozzarella cheese or pecorino romano, and few tablespoons extra for sprinkling, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the ground beef, ½ of the pepperoni, onion, and garlic.
- As the ground meat cooks, sprinkle in the seasonings. Taste (when cooked!) and add more to your liking if necessary.
- In a large bowl, mix the warm beef mixture, spaghetti sauce, squash threads, eggs, and cheese of choice.
- Place into a greased casserole dish ( I used a 9 X 9).
- Top with the remaining pepperoni and a sprinkling of cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.