These cookies are not overly sweet and have a soft, moist crumb (add more sweetener if you like). Eventually I will try for a dense and chewy cookie, as that is my favorite texture, but these cookies are delicious, and my kids can’t get enough if them! We have played with the various vegan fats in these cookies. Each one has their own flavor and texture, but we have enjoyed them all! Use a combo you’re happy with.
In this recipe I use quick oats so the texture is less chunky. You can easily make your own my pulsing rolled oats in a blender or food processor a few times to break up the whole flakes…more like quick cooking ones that way.
- ½ cup vegan butter, or ¼ cup coconut oil, ¼ cup palm shortening
- ½ cup + 2tablespoons palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 3 tablespoons applesauce
- 2 tablespoons any milk
- 2 tablespoons chia meal
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon guar gum
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ⅓ cup gluten free oat flour
- ⅓ cup tapioca flour
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- ½ cup raisins, or chocolate chips (opt)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat the fats and sugar until creamy.
- With the mixer still running, add in the applesauce, milk, chia meal, vanilla, baking soda, salt, and guar gum.
- Continue by adding each of the flours, one at a time.
- Finally, toss in the quick oats.
- Decide if you want Plain Jane or raisins or chocolate chips and mix them in.
- Using a small cookie scoop, or about 1-11/2 tablespoons of dough, scoop the dough onto a greased cookie sheet. These cookies do not move much once placed.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 7-9 minutes until barely golden on the edges (don’t overcook for a dry cookie!).
- Let the cookies rest for 5 minutes before moving them to a cooling rack (they will be soft until they set)
This post was shared with Mostly Homemade Mondays, Natural Living Mondays, Make Your Own Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Tasteful Tuesday, Traditional Tuesday, Hearth & Soul, GF Tuesday, Real Food Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, GF Wednesday, Healthy 2Day Wednesday, Wildcrafting Wednesday, Waste Not Want Not, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Alive & Thrive, Thank Your Body, Tasty Traditions, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Wellness Weekend, Whole Foods Friday, GF Friday,