An incredible paleo pumpkin bar slathered in a low carb maple brown butter cream cheese frosting!
We have made these amazing bars more times than I like to admit. Like A LOT. But I don’t have to admit that. Really.
I could say it was because I wanted to make extra sure they recipe was spot on…..but I knew that after 2 attempts!
The real reason is that they are pure pumpkin perfection. And the brown butter frosting? Well…it’s nothing short of amazing!
The texture? Perfect, light cakey crumb with just enough moisture. I swear, the best bakery could not have a better cake crumb…and in this case totally grain free!!!
The flavor? Well the brown butter frosting has this lovely caramel overtone from the brown butter addition. It was really a spontaneous addition because I keep brown butter on hand to use in just about any place I can think to use it….it’s pure awesomeness!! And the maple and brown butter together? Well, let’s just say it’s a flavor match made in heaven and that everyone needs to try it just once in their life if they can!
I primarily eat lower carb now, so I am taking older gluten free recipes and converting them to lower carb counterparts. In this case, I did just that.
While certainly not zero carbs, it is lower carb than you average baked good….and it uses all wholesome, real food ingredients…so it almost counts as a health food!
DAIRY FREE? I have heard good things about Kite Hill Almond Cream Cheese, as well has other vegan brands. And honestly, any favorite frosting would work here. Or no frosting at all. Or mix in some chocolate chips and call it blondie. Really, make it work for your restrictions! Here are a couple of other topping ideas you could try:
And if you love pumpkin as much as we do, take a minute to peruse my over 30 recipes that include pumpkin as a star ingredient!!
Because really? There is always a good reason to break out the pumpkin whatever time of year it is!
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (orany winter squash puree like butternut, I show how to in this post)
- 1 cup palm sugar + stevia to taste. (May use all low carb sweeteners)
- ½ cup coconut oil, softened or melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cup almond flour
- ½ cassava flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese (lower fat fine)
- 2 tablespoons brown butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (for low carb could use maple flavoring)
- Stevia to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease an 11 x 7 glass pan.
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream the softened oil, pumpkin, and sugar.
- Cream in the eggs and vanilla.
- With the mixer running, sprinkle in the baking powder and sea salt.
- Follow with the flours.
- Spread batter into the greased pan, and place in the oven to bake for 20-25 minutes. When a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, they are ready.
- While they cool, place all the frosting ingredients into the bowl of the mixer, or use your Blend-Tec Twister Jar. Taste and add additional sweetener if you feel like it needs it.
Any of the links in my posts may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and pays for the cost of running this free resource!