Gluten free vegan biscuits for your next dinner! Whether served along side a steaming bowl of your favorite soup (like my dairy free pumpkin soup), or filled with your favorite breakfast fixings, these biscuits are a homey tidbit!
A basic, but oh so delicious biscuit recipe….it fools you into thinking there is nothing different about them! I also have a paleo biscuit we love to make if you need it grain free!
I love to have a fresh biscuit to serve along a steaming bowl of soup, or to make biscuit egg sandwiches for breakfast.
Making gluten free biscuits technique tips
Successful biscuits are more in the technique than anything.
Handle the dough as little as possible to keep a lighter, flakier texture.
Extra cold ingredients are helpful, which is why I like to use my food processor! Then I don’t have to use the heat from my hands to mix anything, and I can work quicker!
After the dough is pulsed together, I sometimes put the whole bowl in the freezer to chill further.
Alternately, you can form the biscuits, and then place the whole pan in the freezer to chill for 10-15 minutes before baking.
Gluten free vegan biscuit variations:
Remember you can always get creative!
- Add in chopped ham, cheese, herbs, and green onions for savory biscuit
- Add some cane sugar and vanilla for a scone or strawberry shortcake base
- Mix in some nutritional yeast for a flavor punch. Try 1 tablespoon.
- With some chocolate chips, you will have a yummy scone!
Can I freeze my gluten free vegan biscuits for make ahead convenience?
Once you make your biscuits, freeze them on a cookie sheet, then place them in a Ziploc bag!
Place them frozen on baking sheet and bake as directed when you are ready for a fresh biscuit!
Great soups to serve with your biscuits
- My dairy free potato soup is so warming and scrumptious!
- Homemade chicken soup is a classic!
- This white chicken chili is a dairy free pinto bean and sweet potato stew
- Homemade vegetable soup is a standby!
Gluten Free Vegan Biscuits Recipe:
If you try these allergy friendly biscuits, be sure to come back and leave a comment
Gluten Free Vegan Biscuits
A dairy, gluten, and egg free biscuit to accompany any of your favorite meals!
- 3/4 cup coconut milk however start with 1/2 cup and add more only if needed Any non dairy milk will work. Higher fat content is better!
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons psyllium husks 1 egg can be substituted.
- 2 tablespoons honey or equivalent in stevia, can sugar
- 4 tablespoons Spectrum Shortening or replace with more butter or ghee if dairy is tolerated. Vegan butter also works.
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Grease a cookie sheet, or use a 12" cast iron pan.
In a liquid measuring cup, add the vinegar and milk and set aside to curdle (this mimics buttermilk).
Mix in the honey and psyllium husks, set aside.
In the bowl of a food processor, pulse all the dry ingredients to mix.
Add the shortening and vegan butter and pulse until it is chunky in appearance, and some larger chunks of fat still remain.
Pulse in the liquid ingredients. Add a tablespoon or two more IF needed to bring the dough together.
Gather the dough in your hands, forming a ball. Try and handle the dough as little as possible to help keep the flaky texture.
Gather large chunks of dough in your hands, and mold them into 1.5 inch- 1.75 inch high mounds , they will not spread or rise too much. I also pat the dough into a rectangle or square and cut them into cubes.
Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
Any of the links in my posts may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and pays for the cost of running this free resource!