Once you make your own Instant Pot Kalua Pork with just a few simple ingredients…you will never have to go to Hawaii…for the infamous pork at least!! So simple and so delicious, this tender pulled pork will quickly become a family favorite…it doesn’t hurt that it is naturally gluten free, paleo, Whole30, and low carb!
I love this meal for so many darn reasons!!
- It takes me minimal hands on time
- Every single family member LOVES it! (That is major points in this mom’s book!) Mom win.
- So few ingredients.
- Total crown pleaser, and SO easy to make for a big group!
I have been making this for a couple years now, and it never disappoints. So simple, And the fall apart pulled pork of your dreams is at hand.
If liquid smoke is new to you…don’t worry—-it is actually pretty easy to find in any well-stocked grocery store. Just be sure and read labels, as some companies like to put in unnecessary junk…you want pure liquid smoke concentrate! Wright’s is a common brand, and I have linked to a great one below!
Serving Suggestions For Kalua Pork
One of the many reasons I love this dinner is that it easily adaptable to multiple diets! Here are some serving suggestions:
- atop a bed of coleslaw for a low carb version….my favorite! I use my homemade mayo to control the ingredients and take the flavor to a whole new level…it’s all my family will eat now, one taste, and I bet you will be the same!
- With coleslaw, sticky rice, and hot sauce
- along side some sauteed plantains
- with some gluten free mac salad, here’s a recipe you could try!
- Add some cabbage wedges into the pot when the time is up…then the cabbage cooks in the juices as you simmer it down, magical!
Can I make Kalua Pork without an Instant Pot?
While the Instant Pot certainly saves you on time and clean up, stove top works too!
You will need a lot more water to cover the meat, then cover and simmer with the lid ajar for several hours until meat is fall apart tender and most of the liquid is gone.
More Instant Pot Main Dishes to Enjoy!
- Rice-Roni Chicken
- White Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Chicken Thighs @ Jennifer Banz
- Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken @ Real Simple Good
Kalua Pork Recipe for the Instant Pot- Paleo | Whole30 | Keto:
Have you made this simple, family pleasing kalua pork? I want to hear about! Please leave a comment below!
Instant Pot Kalua Pork
In the insert of an Instant Pot, place all ingredients. To speed cooking time, use smaller pieces! I roughly chop my roast into 4 large chunks.
Add 2 cups of water (hot water if you want it to come to pressure quicker!). Lock on the lid, and set "manual' time for 80 minutes.
Once time is up, hit 'cancel," do a quick release, and remove the lid. Hit the "saute' feature: time to simmer that uninspiring soupy pork down!
Simmer away until most of the liquid is gone, stirring occasionally. Pork should be shredding easily while you stir.
Mix the mayo, minced onion, and apple cider vinegar all together, then toss in the cabbage slaw!