With a classic cupcake texture and delicious vanilla flavor, these tender gluten free vegan vanilla cupcakes make a perfect birthday treat. Made without dairy and eggs should you choose, these are safe for people with many allergies too!
When I have desperate families ask me for help…most often, especially in the very beginning of food elimination….they are looking for some very basic recipes to replace their kid’s favorites. Chicken nuggets, bread, pancakes, and birthday cupcakes and cakes!!
I have another vanilla cake recipe that I love, but it has eggs, and I knew I wanted one free of the most common allergens I could muster, and eggs are a common one.
Besides…my son still can’t have eggs either!!
Here is a basic vanilla cupcake with a wonderful moist crumb. No real fancy ingredients, and worthy of any allergen-full cake out there.
Gluten free cupcake ingredient options
You have a couple of options with ingredients here.
- Flours: You can easily sub one of the flours if you don’t have one of them on hand. You will need to keep a starch for best texture, and every flour you change will effect the end flavor and texture a bit. So if you want to ask about a particular flour, please leave a comment or refer to my gluten free flours tips page.
- Fat: My three favorites besides avocado oil are melted coconut oil, ghee, or light olive oil. They each have their own flavor, but all work well!
- Sweeteners: Since we don’ use refined sugars much anymore, we have adapted our taste-buds to using less. These were plenty sweet for us, especially with the frosting, but you could add up and additional 1/4 cup if you like. You can use all cane sugar, or all coconut sugar, or part erythritol or stevia. It is really up to you, let me know if you need help tweaking!
So make your little sweeties happy with a delicious vanilla birthday treat!
Additional gluten free vegan treats:
- My black bean brownies are super moist and delicious…no one EVER guesses there is a whole can beans in there!
- These lemon cookies look like a delectable treat. Paleo too!
- These intense chocolate AVOCADO cookies use avocado for the fat! Free of all grains, eggs, and nuts…these are a treat for pretty much EVERYONE!
Additionally, these keto chocolate cupcakes look worthy of some noshing!
Gluten Free Vegan Cupcakes Recipe:
If you make these, I want to hear about it! Please come back and leave a comment below!
Moist Gluten Free & Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and prepare 10-12 muffin tins (liners or grease, up to you!)
In a mixing bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients (the first 8).
In a liquid measuring cup, measure out the remaining ingredients and whisk together.
Mix the dry and wet ingredients together to fully incorporate.
Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tins, about 2/3 fulls.
Bake for about 18-22 minutes, until the tops are just set.
Remove from the oven, cool completely and frost!
Vegan Buttercream Frosting Recipe:
Vegan frostings are very easy. This one is a very traditional frosting..I am not going for a health food here! Just fluffy, allergen free goodness!
Moist Gluten Free & Vegan Vanilla Birthday Cupcakes
- 1 cup vegan butter or replace up to half with palm shortening
- 4 cups powdered sugar most powdered sugar contains cornstarch, check labels
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean scraped (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1-2 tablespoons non dairy milk
In a mixer, beat the butter for a minute or two at high speed to start some fluffiness.
Beat in the vanillas and powdered sugar.
Add in some non-dairy milk a teaspoon at a time to achieve your desired frosting texture. I usually add about a tablespoon, sometimes a touch more.
Beat for a minute or two at high speed, or up to 10 minutes to get lots of extra fluff!
Any of the links in my posts may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and pays for the cost of running this free resource!