Gluten free oatmeal muffin substitutions:
While I made these allergy friendly by omitting the eggs and the dairy, they COULD be added back in if it works for your family: Here are some notes:
- to use eggs, replace 1/2 cup applesauce with 2 large eggs. Keeping some applesauce in the recipe lends a nice, moist texture to the end product.
- to use some dairy, you could replace the coconut oil with butter.
- I love buttermilk and kefir..especially with oatmeal! You could replace some of the applesauce with an equal amount of one of these as well!
- While I used coconut sugar, you could use any granulated sugar! I recommend at least part brown sugar or coconut sugar for the caramel overtones.
Want to change things up? Gluten free banana oatmeal muffins or gluten free oatmeal pumpkin muffins?
In vegan baking, applesauce works great when you have to replace eggs. In these muffins, you could replace the applesauce with equal amounts of pumpkin or mashed banana! If using pumpkin, you might meed a touch more sweetener…to taste.
Creative additions to the gluten free oat muffins:
Delicious just as they are, there also some great ways to add additional textures and flavors:
- add in some diced and peeled apples
- chocolate chips
- fresh blueberries
- chopped nuts
- toasted coconut shreds
- any berry!
Additional recipes using oats:
- These mixed berry oat crumble bars are sure to be delicious!
- When blueberries are in season, these gluten free blueberry crumb bars are amazing!
- Homemade gluten free granola bars are so much better for you! These ones even have hemp!
- You can make these gluten free pumpkin muffins are made entirely in your food processor!
Gluten Free Oatmeal Muffin Recipe:
Drop a comment below if you try these!
Oatmeal Muffins, Gluten Free & Vegan
- 1/2 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1/4 cup sorghum flour or teff flour, more oat flour, or brown rice flour
- 6 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum or xantham gum
- 3 tablespoons ground flax meal or 1.5 tablespoons chia meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats regular or quick
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened or allowed butter
- 3/4 cup palm sugar brown sugar. I replace half the sugar with a stevia equivalent.
- 3/4 cup applesauce they have organic at Costco now!
- 1 large egg 2 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer whisked with 2 tablespoons warm liquid, or 1 tablespoon chia meal mixed with 1/4 cup warm water
Add In Options
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 cup raisins additional option in post above
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In your mixer bowl, place all dry ingredients minus the oatmeal, and mix on low.
Add your fat in and let it break up for a couple minutes, and increase the speed to mix thoroughly.
When things look well blended, add in your wet, waiting to add the oats until all is well mixed.
Add in raisins and cinnamon if desired, or any of the add ins mentioned in post above.
Pour batter into greased muffin tin, filling cups 2/3 full.
Bake for 18-20 minutes until tops just done.
Any of the links in my posts may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and pays for the cost of running this free resource!