These Paleo double chocolate cookies are tender, full of chocolate, and good for you! And as an added bonus, they are egg and dairy free too!
You may be wondering how any cookie could be called ‘good’ for you?! By using the most nutrient dense ingredients possible and using less sugar of course! And if you can…sneak some lovely vegetables and extra fiber in too? Sure, why not?!
Meet the Paleo double chocolate cookie ala Tessa style!
Cookies are a love affair of mine. As a young girl, my mom would make delicious homemade treats, and cookies were always my favorite. I became a veritable connoisseur of chocolate chip cookies especially! Yeah…..I have like EIGHT different varieties of those on this site, but who’s counting?!! I also have a gluten free and vegan double chocolate cookie too!
I quickly discovered that cookies COULD have nutritious add ins that made them more suitable for everyday eating than your standard everyday cookie recipe. And the more I learned about sugar and its detrimental effects on our bodies (and our kids!), I started reducing and replacing THAT too! Thus the term “ala Tessa.” Food with benefits. It’s what I love to do!
- I like to use almond flour in my recipes because it has healthy fats, fiber, and some protein.
- Cassava flour is a newer flour, and if you haven’t tried it, you NEED to!! It is SO versatile and can easily be used all on it’s own, unlike other gluten free flours. It is NOT just the starch like tapioca, it is the WHOLE root, therefore it’s loaded with resistant starch. Why is that good? It feeds the GOOD bugs in your gut! It is NOT A LOW CARB FLOUR, but it is good for you and appropriate for people doing the AIP protocol, GAPS, Whole 30, or Paleo diets.
- Flax meal adds lots of fiber and a dose of healthy fats too. It is also a great binder in egg free baking. I often like to add it to baked goods!
These Paleo double chocolate cookies were created to make my chocoholics happy, but now you can enjoy them too!!
MORE EGG FREE PALEO BAKED GOODS/TREATS?
- Paleo Vegan Brownie Bites (nut free)
- Dense & Fudgey Chocolate Brownies (nut free)
- Orange-Almond Cookies
- Nutella Cookies
- Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
- Raw Chocolate Macaroons (nut free)
- Strawberry Macaroons (nut free)
Paleo Double Chocolate Cookies Recipes
Paleo Double Chocolate Chip Cookies - Vegan
- ½ cup pumpkin puree (I used a dry variety, sweet meat pumpkin)
- ½ cup palm sugar (may sub low carb sweetener)
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted (butter or ghee would work too)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup almond flour (you may need more if your pumpkin is wet)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder lumps sifted
- 1/4 cup cassava flour (tapioca works too)
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- ½ cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment or a baking mat.
In a small bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, oil, sugar, and vanilla.
Continue with the baking soda and sea salt.
Finish with the almond, cocoa, tapioca, and flaxmeal. The dough should be thick, stiff, and easy enough to handle and roll into balls. Add more flour if necessary to achieve this.
Mix in the chocolate chips.
Roll approximately 1½ tablespoons of dough into a smooth golf ball sized ball. Place on cookie sheet and press down gently to flatten. Larger cookies are certainly fine too, just cook longer!
Bake for 10 minutes until just set and remove from oven. Cookies will be soft, but they firm up nicely well fully cooled.