A perfect grab and go snack, breakfast, or appetizer, these paleo sausage cheese balls are a handy bite to eat warm or cold! We love how easy they are to make, and how portable they are for any occasion or trip. They would even make a great protein dense hiking food!
Years ago before children, I was a teacher. We had epic staff room spreads, and the holidays were always a time when everyone would bring something in to share. One year, there was several items that I enjoyed SO much, I begged for the recipes! This is one of those recipes, well loved and tattered languishing away within my recipe book.
After almost 8 years of cooking allergy free, recreating the gluten filled recipes of my past has become much easier. While some tinkering is necessary, knowing these ingredients well makes it much easier for me to make substitutions with success.
This recipe is unique in that it uses the sausage to bind…and requires minimal flour. It seems like it shouldn’t work…but it does!! And every single bite is loaded with sausage and cheese flavor…pretty amazing!
I also love how portable these are! While we never intended them to be travel food, we found that we loved grabbing leftovers for a quick, high protein snack!! It was kind of by accident…but now these are on the camping and hiking list of perfect nutrient dense, portable foods!
- I like to use this cassava flour in so many recipes because it is SO versatile and has a neutral flavor! And unlike tapioca starch which is JUST the starch, cassava contains the whole root and contains lots of digestive-resistant starch which feeds the healthy gut flora! Great for digestion!
- When baking, it is ideal to keep the items uniform in size so they all cook evenly. This is why I love to use my cookie/food scoops to keep it consistent! I use my different sizes for cookies, muffins, meatballs, and these biscuits!
Can I make these low carb or keto?
Definitely! With so little flour, changing the flours around has very little impact. I usually replace the cassava flour with 1/3 cup coconut flour.
Looking for more gluten free sausage recipes?
- Roasted Veggies w/ Sausage
- Whole30 Breakfast Sausage @ What the Fork
- Low Carb Breakfast Casserole w/ Sausage @ Low Carb Yum
- Country Sausage Gravy Over Sweet Potatoes @Get Inspired Everyday
Paleo Sausage and Cheese Balls Recipe:
If you try these delicious little sausage balls, I want to know! Please come back and leave a comment!
Paleo Sausage Cheese Balls
Preheat oven to 400 degrees ad line a cookie sheet with a non-stick baking mat.
In the bowl of a mixer, slowly beat all ingredients until everything is incorporated and well mixed.
Using a cookie scoop or your hands, roll about 2 tablespoons dough into a ball and place on a lined cookie sheet. They will not puff or move much, so they can be close to one another!
Bake in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until just golden and set.