Tart bright red fresh cranberries adorn this gluten free cranberry cake like a sparkling crown! Rich and delicious, this coffee cake is a special holiday breakfast.
Cranberries are not only festive and beautiful…they are a great addition to any diet. High in fiber, low in calories, and lots of vitamin C to support your immune system! One of the reasons I love my gluten free cranberry orange muffins!
I have long adored cranberries for their vibrant color and tart flavor. It was natural to use them when I considered making a fun breakfast cake for any holiday occasion.
However, as I set out to create a gluten free version, I quickly discovered a huge majority of recipes contained HUGE quantities of sugar! Like some recipes had THREE cups, wowzer!
My gluten free cranberry upside down cake instead is MUCH lower in sugar! I feel much better about making THIS version for my family!
A rich, buttery cake topped with a sweet tart cranberry toppings. The cream cheese glaze sets the whole thing off, and looks really striking atop the vivid red color! Perfect for a Christmas morning!
Can I use dried cranberries for this recipe?
In short, no. Fresh cranberries are needed for cranberry topping.
In a pinch, you could eliminate the topping and just mix some dried cranberries into the cake batter.
Grain free cranberry cake option?
You could easily sub the brown rice flour for 1/2 cup almond flour, and use cassava flour to replace the rice flour!
Additional gluten free cranberry recipes:
- My cranberry vinaigrette yields a stunning bright red salad dressing!
- My gluten free vegan coffee cake is made in your blender and includes cranberries and orange for a flavor burst!
- These cranberry shortbread bars are right up my alley!
- My healthy pumpkin smoothie includes fresh cranberries!
Gluten Free Cranberry Cake Recipe:
If you try this vibrant and festive cake, be sure to come back and leave a comment!
Gluten Free Cranberry Upside Down Cake
With a gorgeous bright red cranberry topping, this gluten free cake is a stunner! Buttery cake topped with the bright tart flavor of cranberries.
- 2 cups fresh cranberries or frozen
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar may use additional to taste, or add some stevia or monkfruit1/2
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter or coconut oil
- 6 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup yogurt or sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon guar gum or xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1/3 cup rice flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
Cream Cheese Drizzle
- 1 tablespoon butter softened
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese softened
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk to thin to desired drizzling consistency
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9" baking pan.
Place all the ingredients for the cranberry topping in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to boil, and immediately pour into the prepared pan, spreading evenly across the bottom.
In the bowl of a mixer, beat the butter and sugar. Once blended, add in the yogurt vanilla, and eggs.
With the mixer on low, sprinkle in the gum, salt, and baking soda and powder.
Turn mixer off, add the flours, and mix. Beat for 2 minutes until pale yellow and fluffy.
Pour the batter over the cranberries, spreading evenly.
Bake for 25-30 minutes until the center of the cake set.
While the cake cooks, prepare the drizzle by mixing all the ingredients together. Only use enough milk to achieve the right drizzling consistency.
When the cake is done, cool for 15 minutes, then invert on a serving plate.
Drizzle the cream cheese frosting, and serve!