With Fall in full swing and fresh pumpkin puree up the wazzu, I wanted to create a smoothie that highlighted some of my very favorite flavors from this season: pumpkin, apples, cranberries, and cinnamon.
This tempting smoothie was a tinkering over many attempts. I wanted to be sure and include some healthy fats (coconut oil, nuts), as well as a bit of protein for a full-meal deal.
For those who cannot do nuts, this smoothie is just as delicious without the cashews and were actually a last minute addition for me. Raw sunflower seeds are another good option.
The sweetness is a total personal preference, so please add more or less sweetener as your taste buds dictate. We have also added banana to this smoothie and loved it. Smoothies are so flexible! Chia seeds would be another nutritious addition.
If you are new to my blog, or a repeat offender, let me reiterate: FRESH PUMPKIN PUREE IS BY FAR AND AWAY TASTIER THAN THE STUFF IN THE CAN!! It is so worth a little extra effort and is tasty enough to eat on it’s own…especially Sugar Pie Pumpkins! I have a tutorial on how to make your own fresh pumpkin, and it really is so easy!
If you have some time, I have shared this recipe on And Love It Too’s Ingredient Challenge, pumpkin is this months theme!
I have lots of additional pumpkin recipes, over 30 recipes that include it! Here re a few you could check out!
- Gluten Free Vegan Pumpkin Bars w/ Caramel Frosting
- Gluten Free Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Paleo/Vegan Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
- Paleo Pumpkin Ice Cream
- Gluten Free Vegan Dense & Chewy Pumpkin Cookies
- Paleo Pumpkin Persimmon Smoothie
- Paleo Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- 1 cup preferred non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup fresh pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup frozen fresh cranberries raspberries would work in a pinch
- 1/4 cup raw soaked cashews(soaking unnecessary with a high-powered blender), use equal amount of plain Greek yogurt for a nut free option
- 1 small apple chunked
- 1/2 orange peeled
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream the fat on top a full-fat coconut milk can or coconut butter
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5-10 drops stevia liquid to taste. Honey, maple syrup, or palm sugar could all be used instead. Depending on your fruit sweetness, this is unnecessary.
Place all ingredients in a high powered blender and whir until smooth.
If you do not have a high powered blender, use soaked cashews (raw cashews soaked in fresh water for a few hours minimum and drained), fresh squeezed orange juice instead of an orange, and applesauce instead of an apple.