This Thai grilled chicken recipe transforms the humble boneless skinless chicken thigh into ultra flavorful and delicious Thai street food. Easily made Whole30 and keto, this paleo grilled chicken will become a favorite!
When I created my Thai Cabbage Slaw, I knew I wanted a Thai chicken marinade to go with it for a full meal. Using similar ingredients, I’ve created a luscious Thai marinade that sings.
I consistently turn to boneless skinless chicken thighs for grilling as they are such a moist and juicy cut of meat. Regardless of my marinade or lack thereof, I have nailed down the art of grilling this cut of meat to perfection.
In Thailand, you will see amazing Thai street foods with grilled meats and fresh vegetables, each dish more succulent than the last.
Stateside, I have turned to some classic Thai flavors to make this chicken work: lemongrass, fish sauce, and lime. If there was ever a more magical combination of ingredients, seriously one of the best!
I serve this atop the aforementioned cabbage slaw, but my kids eat it atop a bed of sticky rice.
Either way, do yourself a favor and make at least a double batch of this chicken…it will disappear quick!
Thai grilled chicken meal prep tip:
I love to bulk buy multiple cuts of boneless chicken…..then prior to packaging them out into the freezer, I prepare multiple marinades.
- Buy all your chicken
- Select and prepare your marinades. Our favorites are this asian marinade, this Vietnamaese grilled chicken marinade, this lemon garlic marinade, these chicken fajitas, and this dairy free tikka masala. This Hawaiian chicken marinade looks promising! Use what you love!
- Place your family’s meal portion in a container along with each marinade.
- Allow chicken to marinate in fridge overnight
- Place containers into the freezer ready to be thawed and used for a quick dinner recipe!
Additional paleo Thai foods to enjoy:
- This Thai carrot soup was a recreation of a Whole Foods soup!
- This Thai chicken soup is a super fast 30 minute meal! Many ask for this recipe once they try it!
- Thai mango dessert is pretty much the BEST thing ever!
- I adore pretty much every recipe I make from this author, and this Thai basil chicken in no exception!
Thai Grilled Chicken Recipe:
If you try this grilled chicken, be sure to come back and leave a comment!
Thai Grilled Chicken Thighs
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil or other high heat oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos OR gf tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar omit for whole30 and keto OR add a few drops of stevia or use erythritol
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass paste or finely minced fresh lemongrass
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste or finely grated ginger
In a container big enough to accommodate your chicken pieces, mix all marinade ingredients. In you want to skip any chopping or mincing, throw it all in your blender first and puree.
Let the chicken marinate for at least 12 hours, overnight best!
An hour before cooking, remove chicken from the fridge.
Preheat your grill to high heat.
Place each chicken thigh with the smoother side facing down atop the grill. Close the lid and cook for 2-3 minutes to develop the grill lines. Flip and do the same for the other side.
After the second set of lines have formed, reduce the heat to low, close the lid, and cook the chicken through the rest of the way. Usually about 5 minutes. An internal temperature of 160 degrees is done.
Let the chicken rest a few minutes off the grill before serving!