I have been away in North Idaho escaping, enjoying the sun and relaxation. Bliss. I am always anxious to get back home though, and this time was no different. I missed my family, and I missed my kitchen!! Eating out with so many “no’s” on the list is a real pain, as I am sure many of you can relate.
I came back to even more zucchinis, and loads of beans…so look forward to some of my favorite recipes with these vegetables!
This recipe was one I discovered on allrecipes.com. I love this site. It is so helpful as a springboard of ideas. I have to “Tessify” the majority of the recipes, but that is the fun part….for me! I changed this one by adding some more spices, changing the cheese and changing to brown rice for more nutrition. This one could easily make a good vegetarian meal with some additional protein, but my family uses it as a side dish. Lots of people have tried this, and it always goes over well.
- 1-1½ cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1½ pounds zucchini, cubed
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1¼ teaspoons garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon paprika (I have used Hungarian and smoked, both were good)
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1½ cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup (or more) shredded Cheddar Cheese Style Daiya Cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 11 X 17 baking dish.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and add the zucchini, green onions, and garlic, sauteing for 5 minutes, or until just tender.
- Season with garlic salt, basil, paprika, and oregano.
- Mix in the cooked rice, tomatoes, and ½ cup cheese.
- Continue to cook and stir until heated through.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to your personal tastes.
- Transfer to the prepared casserole dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
This recipe was shared on Friday Foodie Fix,Hearth & Soul, Traditional Tuesdays, Cast Party Wednesday, What’s Cooking Wednesday, Gluten Free Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways,