When the garden spews forth with mountains of zucchini, what is one to do?! Make this gluten free zucchini rice casserole to start!!
I have been away in North Idaho escaping, enjoying the sun and relaxation. Bliss. I am always anxious to get back home though, and this time was no different. I missed my family, and I missed my kitchen!! Eating out with so many “no’s” on the list is a real pain, as I am sure many of you can relate.
I came back to even more zucchinis, and loads of beans…so look forward to some of my favorite recipes with these vegetables!
This recipe was one I used to use pre-allergy days. I have to “Tessify” the majority of my old recipes, but that is the fun part….for me!
I changed this one by adding some more spices, changing the cheese and changing to brown rice for more nutrition. This one could easily make a good vegetarian meal with some additional protein, but my family uses it as a side dish some of the time too.
Lots of people have tried this, and it always goes over well!
Pressure cooking brown rice for the zucchini casserole:
Have you ever used your pressure cooker for cooking rice? It is a new found love of mine. Best textured rice I HAVE EVER HAD! I love brown rice again! Here’s how I do it:
- Soak your brown rice in water and 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar for at least 12 or up to 24 hours. I also add some sprouted brown rice flour to the water to assist in even MORE break down of the phytase. I reserve a half of cup of this liquid to reuse every time, thereby increasing the amount of phytase I break down the next time I soak my brown rice. By doing this, I can finally digest brown rise easier instead of being bloated and gassy!
- I have also use sprouted brown rice and skip the soaking!
- TO COOK: Rinse your brown rice well. Use 1 cup rice to 1 1/4 cups liquid. Add in 1 tablespoon avocado oil, and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt per cup of rice. Bring your pressure cooker to full pressure and cook for 18 minutes. Turn off, and let it come down naturally for at least 10 minutes, or longer. Then, remove lid and it is ready to go!
Making a complete meal out of this zucchini squash casserole:
We like to add a favorite cooked ground sausage to the mix to make this a main course with meat.
SO find a favorite ground sausage, cook it up, then add to the casserole mix prior to baking!
Looking for more gluten free zucchini recipes?
- Gluten free zucchini pancakes are made your blender and are a great way to start your day!
- Zucchini Bread – Gluten Free & Vegan
- Paleo Zucchini Hemp Bread also made all in your blender or food processor!
- Zucchini Pizza Lasagna – low carb comfort food!
- How about a delicious zucchini soup?
- Shrimp Alfredo w/ Zoodles – Dairy Free
Gluten Free Zucchini Casserole Recipe w/ Rice:
If you try this zucchini recipe, please come back a report! I love reading your comments!
Gluten Free Zucchini Rice Casserole
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini cubed
- 1 cup green onions sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika I have used Hungarian and smoked, both were good
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup or more shredded Cheddar Cheese Style Daiya Cheese, divided
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 11 X 17 baking dish.
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and add the zucchini, green onions, and garlic, sauteing for 5 minutes, or until just tender.
Season with garlic salt, basil, paprika, and oregano.
Mix in the cooked rice, tomatoes, and 1/2 cup cheese.
Continue to cook and stir until heated through.
Taste and adjust seasonings to your personal tastes.
Transfer to the prepared casserole dish and top with remaining cheese.
Bake uncovered 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Any of the links in my posts may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and pays for the cost of running this free resource!
Kari - Get Inspired Everyday! says
This looks delish! And it’s really just in time for the crazy amount of zucchini we’re starting to get!
Such a delicious looking comfort food! I bet the leftovers are delicious as well.
love zucchinis and rice casserole is such a lovely comfort food. Thanks for sharing this simple and wonderful recipe !
Carol Little R.H. @studiobotanica says
Can i follow the instructions for the rice and use my Instant pot?
I am a newbie.. so learning.
Can’t wait to make this!!
You can do the rice in the IP, Carol, would not do
Everything, the zucchini would
Turn to mush I think!!! So pressure cooked
Rice mixed with the veggie sauté and cheese!
What a great way to use up zucchini! I am always on the hunt for gluten free side dishes so this one is going to be next on my list!
I just made a big batch for potluck on the 4th of July!!
Lindsey Dietz says
Now, this is MY kind of comfort food!
I love baked dishes, especially casseroles. Need to give this one a try!
Always good to have another recipe to use up that summer zucchini. I will be trying this one out with cauliflower rice.
Raia Todd says
This sounds so delicious! I might have to try it with cauli-rice. 🙂
My girls would gobble this for lunch! We are headed to the farmer’s market later this week so I’ll pick up some extra zucchini to make this! Thanks!
Megan Stevens says
I so appreciate all your guidance about how to soak the rice and the purpose. Plus your striped zucchini in your photos looks so good and inviting!
Emily @ Recipes to Nourish says
I bet this is total summer comfort food. When zucchini is in season we eat it all the time so I’m always looking for new ways to enjoy it. This sounds great!
This recipe looks so yummy! I absolutely love everything with zucchini, but lately have been stuck in a zoodles rut. This will be perfect to update our rotation!
variety is KEY for me too!!
This looks great! I wanted to ask how to do a quick release of the pressure when pressure cooking brown rice? I’m new to pressure cooking, but would LOVE to make rice that way!
Tessa Domestic Diva says
quick release = run cold water over the top of the pressure cooker until it releases Cindy!
That looks good! I’m always looking for new ways to use zucchini.
Cindy (Vegetarian Mamma) says
You did a GREAT job to Tessify this! :0 Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! 🙂
Hope your week is great!
Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com
Stacy @Stacy Makes Cents says
Tessa, your domesticness pretty much rocks. This looks AWESOME! Visiting from Gluten Free Friday.
Judy @Savoring Today says
It is certainly zucchini time around here too, great to have a garden isn’t it?! This casserole sounds good and an easy one too. Thanks for sharing on Hearth & Soul Hop. 🙂
April Harris says
Your Zucchini Rice Casserole sounds delicious, Tessa. I like how full of fresh vegetables and tasty herbs it is!
Hi There Tessa,
YUM!! This was a real hit with the family over the weekend! So simple, yet so full of flavor. I served with baked chicken breasts! Thanks for the great recipe!! 🙂
So easy, delicious and nutritious?!! A keeper!Kirsten
This one, my family loved. A definate repeat!