When the garden spews forth with mountains of zucchini, what is one to do?! Make this zucchini rice casserole to start!!
I have been away in North Idaho escaping, enjoying the sun and relaxation. Bliss. I am always anxious to get back home though, and this time was no different. I missed my family, and I missed my kitchen!! Eating out with so many “no’s” on the list is a real pain, as I am sure many of you can relate.
I came back to even more zucchinis, and loads of beans…so look forward to some of my favorite recipes with these vegetables!
This recipe was one I discovered on allrecipes.com. I love this site. It is so helpful as a springboard of ideas. I have to “Tessify” the majority of the recipes, but that is the fun part….for me! I changed this one by adding some more spices, changing the cheese and changing to brown rice for more nutrition. This one could easily make a good vegetarian meal with some additional protein, but my family uses it as a side dish. Lots of people have tried this, and it always goes over well.
PRESSURE COOKING BROWN RICE:
Have you ever used your pressure cooker for cooking rice? It is a new found love of mine. Best textured rice I HAVE EVER HAD! I love brown rice again! Here’s how I do it:
- Soak your brown rice in water and 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar for at least 12 or up to 24 hours. I also add some sprouted brown rice flour to the water to assist in even MORE break down of the phytase. I reserve a half of cup of this liquid to reuse every time, thereby increasing the amount of phytaste I break down the next time I soak my brown rice. By doing this, I can finally digest brown rise easier instead of being bloated and gassy!
- TO COOK: Rinse your brown rice well. Normally you double the water content (ie, 1 cup of rice to 2 cups water or broth) I do this and subtract a 1/4 cup per cup of rice since it has been soaked. Bring your pressure cooker to full pressure and cook for 15 minutes. Turn off, and either let it come down naturally, or do a quick release.
Zucchini Rice Casserole
- 1-1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini cubed
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika I have used Hungarian and smoked, both were good
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup or more shredded Cheddar Cheese Style Daiya Cheese, divided
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 11 X 17 baking dish.
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and add the zucchini, green onions, and garlic, sauteing for 5 minutes, or until just tender.
Season with garlic salt, basil, paprika, and oregano.
Mix in the cooked rice, tomatoes, and 1/2 cup cheese.
Continue to cook and stir until heated through.
Taste and adjust seasonings to your personal tastes.
Transfer to the prepared casserole dish and top with remaining cheese.
Bake uncovered 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Any of the links in my posts may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and pays for the cost of running this free resource!