A fun recipe to use up some of that proliferation many of us experience in the summer months: zucchini!! I figured gluten free zucchini pancakes were a great way to get some additional produce into my kids…and I bet you will too!
Nothing better than a recipe you can compile all within the convenience of your blender or food processor! At least in MY world!!
These pancakes were born of a desire to use up more my garden’s zucchini. And since my kids are OBSESSED with pancakes and waffles for breakfast, getting a serving of vegetable into these breakfast staples is a nice bonus.
You won’t notice the zucchini, it blends right in and lends a lovely moist crumb to the pancakes.
Using zucchinis in recipes note:
Zucchinis are all over the map in their size and moisture content…which can great effect the success of recipes.
In general, small zucchinis with little to no seeds formed yield the best results. If you have a large zucchini on your hand, always scrape out the watery spongy pulp and seed in the center core first.
If the batter seems thin, it’s OK to add a couple tablespoons of any of the flours to thicken the batter to a typical pancake batter!
I do NOT recommend the ginormous zucchinis that have loads of large seeds and watery pulp in the center…so be sure to scrape that part out if that is what you are using!
Can I sub flours for these gluten free zucchini pancakes?
Have you checked out my GF flour tips page? Although I have some updating to do, there is lots of helpful information there for newcomers.
I think these pancakes will do well LOTS of gluten free flours!
- When subbing out flours, keep a rough balance of 1/3 starch and 2/3 wholegrain, and the pancakes should perform well. I know some people do not keep teff around (but you should!), so sub if you need to and share your tweaks with us! I think brown rice, sorghum, or gluten free oat flour would all make good subs.
- If you use an all purpose gluten free mix, if there is a gum in there, omit the gum in the recipe.
Additional gluten free zucchini recipes:
I know I can’t be the only one who has inordinate amounts of zucchini to use up in the summer! Here are a few more recipes to help YOU too!
- My gluten free vegan zucchini bread is popular for a reason!
- Paleo Chocolate zucchini bread whips up quickly and easily in your food processor or blender!
- A perfect traveling casserole or potluck contribution, this zucchini casserole is wholesome and delish!
- My daughter makes this gluten free chocolate zucchini cake ALL the time!
- This low carb zucchini lasagna looks tasty!
If you try these yummy pancakes, be sure to come back and leave a comment below!
Blender Zucchini Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cup favorite milk I use So Delicious Coconut Milk
- 3/4 cup zucchini shredded, chunked, whatever
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or any fat
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or stevia equivalent
- 2 teaspoons chia meal or one egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup teff flour
- 2/3 cup millet flour or brown rice, sorghum, oat
- 2/3 cup tapioca flour split with half potato starch for less chewy/guminess as you prefer
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Chocolate chips to taste I use 4-5 per pancake. Optional.
Preheat your pan to about medium heat. I like to use cast iron.
Place all the ingredients in your blender or food processor, in the order listed and blend until smooth.
Add some coconut oil to your preheated pan, and swirl the fat around.
Add apx 1/4 cup of batter to pan, fitting as many as you can without them touching. Add the chocolate chips here if you are using them, to taste.
Cook pancakes until little bubble form around the edges and middle. Flip, and cook for another 1-2 minutes until golden and cooked through.