A luscious gluten free chocolate zucchini cake perfect for using up those extra garden zucchinis! Totally dairy and egg free, this ultra moist cake is a wholesome treat to serve your family.
I have more than my share of zucchinis right now. Being a savvy gardener, I only planted ONE plant, knowing how prolific a single plant can be.
And I swear, I could time lapse the growth of one, they grow SO rapidly. One day you have normal 12″ or under zucchini, and two days later, you have Zukezilla…really!
Some people don’t believe me, but it happens all the time!
My Romenesco plant is very happy in it’s fertile, well mulched soil and is churning out 1-2 new zucchinis a day, so of course I have to use my imagination to put all this beautiful veg to use.
I have made some delicious things, but of course, the time is not always ripe to whip out the camera and attempt to capture the scrumptious results for the purposes of my blog!
I have made some zucchini chips that were pretty amazing, and a zucchini casserole that made me swoon….and now this lusciously moist treat: chocolate zucchini cake.
Here is one time I know, my middle child will have NO problem eating some veggies! Rich dark chocolatey taste with a moist crumb..got to love it!
Lunchbox Packing Tip:
If you would like to make this easy to pack in a lunch box, I suggest instead of frosting, mix in a cup of chocolate chips…it will be cleaner AND easier!
Update: we currently use this Paleo frosting for this cake, and many others! We just add some salt and vanilla extract for flavor balance.
PICKY KIDS TIP:
Lately, for ease, I puree all the wet ingredients in my Blentec blender, then add in the dry ingredients right on top! No visible vegetables for picky kids!
Would you like some more zucchini recipes? Here are a couple:
- Zucchini Rice Casserole
- Zucchini Bread
- Paleo Zucchini Hemp Bread (or muffins!)
- Whole30 Zucchini Poppers @ Tasty Thin
- Honey Lemon Chicken Zucchini Noodle Bowl @Mama Knows Gluten Free
Gluten Free Chocolate Zucchini Cake Recipe – Vegan:
Chocolate Zucchini Cake - Gluten Free & Vegan
- 1 cup palm sugar brown sugar, cane sugar (I sub half with liquid stevia equivalent)
- 1/3 cup avocado oil or I use melted coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup gluten free oat flour for oat free replace with sorghum or millet, or a combo of the two
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder sifted if lumpy!
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- 2 cups shredded zucchini packed *Tip - if you have any veggie-phobes in your household, you could puree the zucchini in a food processor so it is not detectable.
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder sifted if lumpy
- 1/4 cup allowed butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar I would try this with powdered palm sugar next time!
- 1/4 cup milk I used almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 pan.
In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugars, and vanilla.
Add in the remaining ingredients minus zucchini. Stir vigorously to combine well: mixture will be dry and crumbly.
Stir in the zucchini. The moisture from the zukes should bring the whole batter together like a typical brownie/cake batter on the thick side.
Pour/coax into the prepared pan and bake for about 25 minutes until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. I had to bake mine a little extra, the moisture content of your zucchinis will drive this.
Let cool for about 10 minutes and then invert on a cooling rack. At this point you can make the frosting for the cake.
In a microwave safe bowl or over a double boiler, melt the butter/margarine.
Remove and mix in the cocoa powder, then the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla.
nutritional info includes all the frosting
Any of the links in my posts may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and pays for the cost of running this free resource!