Here is another one of those meals I remember fondly from growing up: Hamburger Helper.
There was a time I didn’t read food labels…I have to remind myself of that! It has become so second nature at this point.
As a kid, I cared about one thing: taste!
I was a horribly picky eater, and figure any medicine my kids dole out in that department is only payback for my years of Top Ramen, Captain Crunch Berries, and Twinkies!
I was happy to create a version of Hamburger Helper that is not only allergy-friendly, but kid pleasing too! This meal goes together quickly and is a great school night meal!
TIP: You could add any additional vegetables to this. I bet bell peppers, carrots, spinach, or cabbage would all be good!
I also created a Homemade Healthy Hamburger Helper!
5 servings @ 483 calories approximate
Healthy Homemade Gluten & Dairy Free Chili Mac Hamburger Helper
Author: Tessa the Domestic Diva
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground meat of choice
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 14.5 ounce can pureed/crushed tomatoes (I used diced, but pureed them w/ my immersion blender first. The puree hides the big chunks of tomatoes that my kids won't eat)
- 2 cups beef broth, homemade or store bought
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (you can use as much or as little as you like for your family)
- 2½ cups gluten free noodles (I used Tinkiyada Brown Rice Elbows)
- ½ cup shredded Daiya Cheddar Shreds
- Optional garnishes: avocado slices, pickled jalapenos, hot sauce, fresh lime, shredded cabbage
- Heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and saute until soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the ground meat and garlic, stirring to break the meat up.
- When browned, add in tomato paste, canned tomatoes, beef broth, oregano, and chili powder. Stir to combine.
- Stir in the noodles. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until the noodles are al dente, about 7-10 minutes. The noodles will continue to soak up liquid as it sits, so don't worry if it seems a little thin.
- Stir in cheddar shreds until melted. Serve!
Any of the links in my posts may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and pays for the cost of running this free resource!