Here is another one of those meals I remember fondly from growing up: Hamburger Helper.
There was a time I didn’t read food labels…I have to remind myself of that! It has become so second nature at this point.
As a kid, I cared about one thing: taste! I was a horribly picky eater, and figure any medicine my kids dole out in that department is only payback for my years of Top Ramen, Captain Crunch Berries, and Twinkies!
I was happy to create a version of Hamburger Helper that is not only allergy-friendly, but kid pleasing too! This meal goes together quickly and is a great school night meal!
TIP: You could add any additional vegetables to this. I bet bell peppers, carrots, spinach, or cabbage would all be good!
5 servings @ 483 calories approximate
Healthy Homemade Gluten & Dairy Free Chili Mac Hamburger Helper
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground meat of choice
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 14.5 ounce can pureed/crushed tomatoes (I used diced, but pureed them w/ my immersion blender first. The puree hides the big chunks of tomatoes that my kids won't eat)
- 2 cups beef broth, homemade or store bought
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (you can use as much or as little as you like for your family)
- 2½ cups gluten free noodles (I used Tinkiyada Brown Rice Elbows)
- ½ cup shredded Daiya Cheddar Shreds
- Optional garnishes: avocado slices, pickled jalapenos, hot sauce, fresh lime, shredded cabbage
- Heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and saute until soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the ground meat and garlic, stirring to break the meat up.
- When browned, add in tomato paste, canned tomatoes, beef broth, oregano, and chili powder. Stir to combine.
- Stir in the noodles. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until the noodles are al dente, about 7-10 minutes. The noodles will continue to soak up liquid as it sits, so don't worry if it seems a little thin.
- Stir in cheddar shreds until melted. Serve!
This recipe was shared on Seasonal Wednesdays, GF Wednesday, Kids in the Kitchen, Health 2Day Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Wheat Free Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Wildcrafting Wednesday, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Simple Lives Thursday, Thank Your Body Thursday, Tasty Traditions, Keep it Real Thursdays, Pennywise Platter,Fresh Bites Friday, GF Friday, Get Real Frugal Friday, Simple Meals Friday, Whole Foods Friday, Fight Back Friday, Made From Scratch Monday, Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Mondays, Tasteful Tuesdays, Fat Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Hearth & Soul, Traditional Tuesdays,
Any of the links in my posts may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and pays for the cost of running this free resource!