Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins – Gluten Free & Vegan

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins -Gluten Free & Vegan

Muffins with: NO refined sugar, NO starches, and that have fruits, vegetables, AND whole grains?!  This is one muffin you’ve got to try!

Another creation to get healthy foods into my son’s belly! As if it wasn’t enough that he had an exorbitant number of sensitivities, on top of all THAT, he’s p.i.c.k.y about whole (non-pureed) foods!  I am so sick of feeding him baby food, and at 18 months, he is more than ready to be using those chompers he worked so hard to get in!

Not only were these a hit with him (minus the chocolate of course!)…the rest of us went nutzo over these moist muffins too!  We know YOU will too, so put your bakers hat on and whip up a batch of healthy goodness for YOUR family OR just yourself!

Makes about 1 dozen muffins

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins - Gluten Free & Vegan

• Wet Mix Ingredients:
  • 1½ cup homemade pumpkin puree (or one can), room temp to not harden coconut oil
  • ½ cup honey, or maple syrup
  • ½ cup applesauce (room temp to not harden coconut oil)
  • ¼ cup melted coconut oil or other oil
  • ¼ cup palm sugar (or other granulated sugar)
  • ¼ cup chia meal
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • Dry Mix:
  • 1½ cup gluten free oat flour (make you own by whirring rolled oats in a spice/coffee grinder)
  • ½ cup sorghum flour (millet or brown rice would work too)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup chocolate chips, or raisins, or dried cranberries (or more to taste)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease a 12 cup muffin tin or line with muffin liners.
  2. Mix the wet mix ingredients together.
  3. Place the dry mix ingredients, in order, on top of the wet mix. Gently whisk the dry ingredients a bit and then stir vigorously to blend well.
  4. Pour into a prepared muffin tins.
  5. Bake for 18-22 minutes until tops are just set, and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean!

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins -Gluten Free & Vegan

This recipe was shared on  Mostly Homemade Mondays, Fat Tuesday, Totally Talented Tuesday, Hearth & SoulTasty TuesdaysGF Wednesday

Tagged with: , , , ,
Posted in Breads & Muffins, Breakfast, Vegan
39 comments on “Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins – Gluten Free & Vegan
  1. Amber says:

Tessa,

Your baking skills are amazing my friend! I can't keep up with you (In fact, I had to put together a "Tessa's baking" cookbook and it's growing by the day)! These muffins look truly wonderful. And as always, top-notch ingredients. Well done!!

Hugs,
    –Amber

2. You're too sweet! I love to bake….so I guess it was the first thing to master allergy free and healthy! Hope you get a chance to try these!

3. Kristi says:

What a wonderful muffin!! They look so good. These would be perfect for pregnant or breastfeeding mommies. Would you be willing to post this on my blog carnival, superfood sunday?

4. Aggh!! I wish I had some honey so I could make these right now! Will have to wait until I restock, but I definitely will. Pinned it!

5. Erin Slocum says:

This recipe sounds great! I'm definitely going to be trying it. New follower from http://www.forhimandmyfamily.blogspot.com

I was reading your gluten free flour section and loved it! I make my own bread and use a mix of brown rice, teff, amaranth, annd millet flours with tapioca starch. There are so many great flours out there!

6. I love pumpkin and chocolate makes it even better. Wil have to try these.

7. They look incredibly moist and delicious. I look forward to getting these on the table. What else could you use instead of pumpkin puree if I didn't have any on hand? If there a substitute?

Thanks for sharing these with us at WHole Food Wednesdays Tessa and have a great week.

8. Let's see…pureed sweet potato or winter squash of any kind would be the best sub (you might need more liquid w/ sweet potato). Any blend of pureed fruits and veggies would probably woke, although the flavor would be different depending on the combo you used. Pureed carrots, parsnips, anything with some natural sweetness like pumpkin.

9. Your muffins sound absolutely scrumptious, and perfect for children and adults alike! Thank you for sharing another delicious recipe :)

10. Annie says:

Any suggestions to sub out the oats? My daughter has food sensitivities to oat.

• Hi Annie! My GF Flours page (tab at top) goes into more detail on subbing. I would recommend a mix of teff, millet, or brown rice as first choices…buy others would work…look at ‘medium’ flour on my page!

11. Dana says:

Oh yum! I love all things pumpkin and chocolate too, and better yet that it’s sugar free! Personally I’ve always been a sugar hound, and I see the tendency in my daughter and I’d much rather her (and me) eat healthier treats when we can, so thanks for this.

Is there a sub for the chia? Like flax meal? Just don’t have any on hand.
    -Dana
    -Dana

12. Maia @ MaiTreat says:

Yum!

13. Anne Kimball says:

Hi Tessa, I’m Anne from Life on the Funny Farm (http://annesfunnyfarm.blogspot.com) visiting from the Natural Living Mamma blog hop.

These recipes look yummy, and I’m not even on any restricted diets!

It’s nice to “meet” you. I hope you can pop over to my blog and say hi sometime if you get the chance.

14. Cindy (Vegetarian Mamma) says:

Once again, pumpkin plus me equals love! :) Got it tweeted and pinned!

15. Anne says:

These are so good! I’ve made them a few times now. I don’t add the 1/4 c sugar anymore and they’re plenty sweet with the chocolate chips. Last time I ran out of oat flour so I used 1 c oat flour and 1/2 c almond meal. Still tasty! Thanks for such a great recipe! I just posted my first blog post and would love it if you’d check it out… engineeringdinner.com. Thanks!

16. Lea H @ Nourishing Treasures says:

Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back tomorrow when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

17. Amanda @Natural Living Mamma says:

Mmmm. My daughter LOVES pumpkin and chocolate. I will have to make her some of these. Thanks for sharing on Natural Living Monday! I can’t wait to see what you have going on this week. http://wp.me/p2pBvv-AQ

18. Becky says:

These sound so yummy and I have all the ingredients! YAY! Curious if you’ve tried freezing them, do they freeze well?

19. Alaine @ My GF & DF Living says:

I just had to pin this to my pumpkin board! These look amazing! :)

20. Heidi says:

These look so yummy! Pumpkin just makes everything better, don’t you think? If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to visit my Gluten-Free Monday party at OneCreativeMommy.com and link up this and any other GF idea you would like to share. I hope to see you there.

21. Laura W says:

These are delicious. We can’t do oats either. I’ve made them with buckwheat & super fine brown rice flour or all super fine brown rice flour & they still turned out nicely though I prefered the buckwheat. I might try leaving out the granulated sugar next time.

22. Jaye says:

Hi!

I don’t have BROWN rice flour…can I use regular (white?) rice flour or tapioca flour instead? I’d love to make these tonight!

Thanks!

• Hi Jaye, do you mean in place of the 1/2 cup sorghum? Yes, rice flour and tapioca should both work…I’d do rice. Any medium flour should work (refer to my baking tips page where I list all the flours by heavy, medium, light for additional sub ideas you might have on hand! More oat would even work! Please let me know how they tun out and what changes you make!!

23. Alison says:

These look great! I am gluten free and vegan. I was wondering, I try to avoid fat in my diet. Could I substitute applesauce for the oil? Or does that change it too much since it already has applesauce in it?

24. Anne-Marie says:

Hi Tessa
    I made these muffins and they are delicious. Mine are very moist, almost wet tasting, even though my toothpick came out crumb free after 22 minutes baking. Is that normal? I’m still rather new to gluten free and vegan baking.

25. Sara says:

These muffins are amazing. Made them last night & can’t stop eating them. So moist & delicious.

26. swathi says:

Delicious Pumpkin chocolate chip muffins love to try it. thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop. pinning.
    swathi recently posted…Pain au RomarinMy Profile