I ran across this recipe on allrecipes.com. The ease caught my eye, and I figured it would be easily tweaked to my standards. To control the sweeteners, I make my own BBQ sauce using half stevia, half maple syrup. I use either “5 Minute Barbeque Sauce,” from Hallie @ Daily Bites, or one from Ali @ Whole Life Nutrition, “Chipotle BBQ Sauce.” Depending on our mood, I serve it atop either my Corn Free Millet Cornbread, or my biscuits. Either way, this is quick and easy throw together meal for the family!!
- 8 oz bacon, diced (I prefer Trader Joe’s Applewood Smoke Nitrate free)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cans pinto beans, or about 3 cups
- 1 cup favorite barbeque sauce (I shared two links to recipes I use above)
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the bacon.
- Set pieces on some paper towels and discard all but 1 tablespoon of the remaining fat.
- Saute the onions until soft, a couple of minutes.
- Crumble the hamburger in, stirring to break it up.
- When the hamburger is no longer pink, stir in the beans, barbeque sauce, and bacon.
- Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes to meld the flavors.
- Serve atop your favorite biscuits or cornbread!
This recipe was shared on Pennywise Platter, Fight Back Friday, Fresh Bites Friday, It’s a Piece of Cake, Foodie Friday,Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Make Your Own Monday, Made from Scratch Monday, Tasty Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday,Gluten Free Wednesday, What’s Cooking Wednesday, Kids in the Kitchen, Whole Foods Wednesdays, This Chick Cooks, Traditional Tuesdays, Real Food Wednesdays, Cast Party Wednesday, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Hearth & Soul, Thriving on Thursdays, Full Plate Thursday,