A family friendly recipe perfect for dinners and a great camping meal too!
The ease of this recipe caught my eye on allrecipes.com, and I figured it would be easily tweaked to my standards.
**Also a great camping food!**
For this meal, I like to soak my beans overnight in water and apple cider vinegar to make them easier to digest.
Cooking pinto beans in your Instant Pot
- Drain your soaked beans and rinse well.
- Cook them in electric pressure cooker like the Instant Pot, covered with ample water for 15 minutes. (in the IP, use ‘manual’ or ‘pressure cook‘ mode). Remember the cook time STARTS once the it comes to full pressure, not before.
- Once the time is up, hit ‘cancel.’ Do a natural release (let the pot sit, completely off until pressure gauge goes down) and they are ready, and FAR superior to any canned ones, as well as pennies to make versus the several dollars for the canned ones!
Additional gluten free skillet meals:
- My gluten free chili mac is cheesy ground beef and noddle goodness!
- Always popular, the gluten free hamburger helper is a family fav!
- Cuban picadillo combines some unusual ingredients for a stellar results!
- Stove top skillet lasagna is right up my alley!
Cowboy Barbecue Skillet Recipe:
If you make this heart family friendly meal, be sure to come back and leave a comment below!
Cowboy Skillet Casserole
Cowboy barbecue skillet is a family friendly gluten free meal perfect for camping! tender pinto beans, ground beef, and bacon for the win!
- 8 oz bacon diced (I prefer Trader Joe's Applewood Smoke Nitrate free)
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cans pinto beans or about 3 cups homemade (see how above in post)
- 1 cup favorite barbeque sauce I shared two links to recipes I use above
In a large skillet (we LOVE our cast iron skillet!) over medium heat, brown the bacon.
Set cooked pieces on some paper towels and discard all but 1 tablespoon of the remaining fat.
Saute the onions until soft, a couple of minutes.
Crumble the hamburger in, stirring to break it up.
When the hamburger is no longer pink, stir in the beans, barbeque sauce, and bacon.
Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes to meld the flavors.
Any of the links in my posts may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and pays for the cost of running this free resource!