A moist Paleo pumpkin chocolate muffin free of all grains, eggs, dairy, and nuts.
Paleo baked goods without nuts and eggs are not an easy task. Coconut flour is an easy enough option, but coconut flour LOVES eggs, so figuring out a way work with one and without the other can be a bit daunting.
I have started with two major binders in this recipe:
- Pumpkin, which I have used frequently to replace eggs in regular gluten free vegan baking. It functions much the same as sweet potatoes, banana, or applesauce would.
- The other is psyllium husks. Psyllium is a seed and is sometimes taken in supplement form…a major insoluble fiber source. While psyllium is the big guns, I have an instinct that chia seed meal (a reader said it did!) might work well here too, and I would like to try a gelatin gel as well. But my guess is either one of these will only work in conjunction with the other binder (fruit and veggie purees). Time will tell!
I couldn’t keep my kids out of these….shocking considering they usually dislike Paleo baked goods and are not fond of coconut flavored things. The cocoa powder masks the strong coconut flour taste!
Limit the added the sugars? You could make these by subbing at least half of the pumpkin with banana puree and leave the sugar out. They will not be super sweet with only bananas doing the sweetener duty. You could consider adding some pureed dates too (also a good binder), or a favorite low carb sweetener. Just make sure you use about a 1 3/4 cup pumpkin/banana/date puree total!
NOTE: Because of the psyllium seed, these will be a bit gummy on removal from the oven but achieve texture perfection when fully cooled!
Need more grain free/egg free recipes? Here a re a few to try!
- Paleo Vegan Sweet Potato Muffins
- Paleo Vegan Dense & Fudgey Chocolate Brownies (nut free)
- Paleo Vegan Orange-Almond Cookies
- Grain Free Egg Free Nutella Cookies
- Paleo Vegan Toffee Caramels (nut free)
- Paleo Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Paleo Vegan Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
- Paleo, Vegan, Raw Chocolate Macaroons (nut free)
- Paleo, Vegan, Raw Strawberry Macaroons (nut free)
- 1 15oz can pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup palm sugar (you can add more or less to taste, I use stevia if I want it sweeter)
- 6 tablespoons melted coconut oilor palm shortening
- 3 tablespoons psyllium husks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoonliquid stevia extract (equivalent to about ¼ cup sweetener)
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 6 tablespoons coconut flour, sifted
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- Optional Add In's: cranberries, cherries, chocolate chips, toasted nuts.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease a mini muffin or muffin tin.
- In the bowl of a mixer, mix the pumpkin, sugar, oil, vanilla, psyllium husks, and stevia.
- With the mixer running, sprinkle in the baking soda, powder, and sea salt.
- Continue with the coconut flour and cocoa powder.
- Mix in any add ins if you choose.
- Roll about 3 tablespoons of dough (about 4 for large muffins) in your hand. Mixture should be easy to handle.
- Place in prepared muffin tin, should fill to the top, these do not rise or spread out much.
- Bake for about 20-23 minutes for mini muffins, and an additional 5 minutes for large muffins.
- The muffins will be soft when they are removed from the oven, and a bit jelly like from the psyllium. The best texture is achieved when they have fully cooled!
- Can be stored on the counter in an airtight container for several days.
Any of the links in my posts may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and pays for the cost of running this free resource!