I have been relying very heavily on smoothies for my son for his best dose of nutrient dense foods…this means one meal a day is frequently a smoothie.
The challenge is how to make a super nutrient dense drink that:
- Still tastes amazing for my SUPER picky son
- Is free of ALL Top 8 allergens.
- Is a balanced meal with protein and fat.
It has taken awhile, but I much more adept at making great smoothies now that manage to do ALL these things.
I turned to it knowing I had mangoes on hand. Let’s be frank…..my son can not have berries…so my frozen fruit options are not as plentiful or affordable as I would like. I am a huge fan of the Thai mangoes, but find the frozen cubed varieties ho hum. Until THIS smoothie.
Ally’s Mango Lassi smoothie looked delicious in it’s own right, but it did not meet my #2 and #3 criteria for my son. When I was finished with it, it was a new recipe with magical results. But seriously look at her picture, don’t you just want to lick your screen??!! There is a reason I pinned that smoothie!
Don’t forget, GELATIN is the magical gut healing protein source in this and most of my smoothies. A must have!
- 1 cup any milk (I use Silk Coconut this time)
- 1 cup kombucha (I used a homemade variety, but recommend any plain, berry, or hibiscus kombucha flavor)
- 1½ cup frozen mango cubes
- ¾ cup frozen butternut squash cubes
- 1 6 ounce container plain yogurt (I used So Delicious Plain Greek)
- Zest & juice of one lime (about 2 tablespoons lime juice)
- 2 tablespoons full fat coconut milk or coconut butter
- 8 drops liquid stevia, to taste (or honey) - optional
- 3 tablespoons gelatin (I have inked to my favorite above), could leave out for vegan
- Place all ingredients in a high powered blender and puree until smooth and frosty!
This recipe was shared on Natural Living Monday, Mostly Homemade Monday, Fat Tuesday, Hearth & Soul, Tuesday Talent Show, Totally Talented Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesdays, Tuesday Greens, Gluten Free Tuesday, Waste Not Want Not, Gluten Free Wednesdays, Wildcrafting Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Fresh Foods Wednesday,Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Wellness Wednesdays, Raw Foods Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Thriving on Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Whole Foods Friday, GF Friday, Wellness Weekend, Fight Back Friday, Simple Meal Friday, , Savouring Saturday