Quick Mexican Eggs for Dinner- Gluten & Dairy Free

Mexican Eggs - Gluten & Dairy Free

Granted, my husband and I adore Mexican food…the real stuff. But our pantry is almost always stocked with ingredients for this recipe, perfect for breakfast or dinner. It is super delicious, super easy to make, and lends itself to the creative cook who likes to add little bits of things to be used up or that suit family preferences. You could play around the ingredients a lot here….let me know if you find a winning combo, I am sure I will never make this recipe exactly the same every time myself! Enjoy!

Mexican Eggs - Gluten & Dairy Free

Mexican Eggs

• 4-8 (depending on how lean you would like it) slices bacon, chopped (Trader Joe’s Applewood Smoked Bacon) I have also used chicken chorizo sausage in place of the bacon!
  • 1 can (16 oz.) refried beans (I used Trader Joe’s Salsa Style) or try your hand at making your own, easily!
  • 2 tablespoons chopped green chiles (optional)
  • 2 teaspoons Fiesta Chili Powder (a salt-free seasoning found in most bulk spice sections), optional
  • 1 teaspoon cumin, optional
  • 4 large eggs
  • ½ cup allowed shredded cheese
  • ¼ cup chopped green onions (divided)
  • 1 medium tomato, chopped
  • ¼ cup chopped cilantro
  • 1 avocado, chopped
  • Warm tortillas
  • Salsa (I love taqueria style made by Herdez, found in Mexican food sections in a can)
  1. Brown the pieces of bacon in a 12-in. frying pan.
  2. When browned and crispy, drain on a paper towel, discarding all but 2 tbsp. bacon fat in pan.
  3. Add the beans, chiles, spices, and most of the green onions in the pan over medium heat, stirring often, until simmering.
  4. Make 4 wells in beans with a spoon and crack an egg into each hole. Cook, covered, just until eggs set, about 4 minutes.
  5. Top with cheese, remaining green onions, tomato, cilantro, avocado, and reserved bacon.
  6. Serve with tortillas and salsa.
Mexican Eggs - Gluten & Dairy Free

This recipe was shared on  Natural Living Monday, Mostly Homemade MondayGluten Free Tuesday,  Waste Not Want NotGluten Free WednesdaysWildcrafting Wednesday, Real Food WednesdayFresh Foods Wednesday,Frugal Days Sustainable Ways,  Raw Foods Thursday,  Full Plate ThursdayThriving on ThursdaySimple Lives Thursday,   Pennywise PlatterWhole Foods FridayGF FridayWellness Weekend,  Fight Back FridaySimple Meal Friday, , Savoring Saturday

Tagged with: , , ,
Posted in Breakfast, Grain Free/Paleo, Main Dish, Recipes 4 Everyday & Everyone
21 comments on “Quick Mexican Eggs for Dinner- Gluten & Dairy Free
  1. blissedmicha says:

YUM I'm going to have to make this asap. I am obsessed with Mexican/Southwestern inspired egg breakfasts!

2. Jen says:

All my favorite things are in THIS recipe. Cumin, cilantro, EGGS! cheese, tomato, avocado . . . LOVE!

3. Diane Balch says:

I love eggs as a dinner. Such a healthy colorful meal. Please share this on my foodie friday linky today. I will pin it too.

4. Oh my goodness! I needed a new breakfast recipe, and this looks awesome! Thanks for linking up to Foodie Friday!

5. Diane Balch says:

So glad you shared this see you back next week on Foodie Friday.

Your recipe looks awesome. Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.

7. April Harris says:

This is real comfort food! I just love the flavours you have used in it. There’s something about dishes with eggs in that is so appealing on busy days!

8. We love combining Mexican flavors with eggs – such a delicious combination. We never make it the same way twice either.

9. CONGRATULATIONS !!! Your RECIPE is being featured today at Menu and Party Idea Round Up from Cast Party Wednesday #38!
    Thank you for sharing your RECIPE with us!
    —Sheryl—

10. mjskit says:

This looks so good! Love the way you poached the eggs IN the dish!

11. Genie says:

Always looking for new breakfast ideas. Will have to give this a try.
    Genie recently posted…Brave at U of M Amplatz Children’s HospitalMy Profile

12. Cathy says:

Thank you for linking up at Tasty Tuesdays! Your post has been pinned to my Recipes from Tasty Tuesday board. I can’t wait to see what you link up next week!
    Have a terrific weekend!
    Cathy
    APeekIntoMyParadise.com
    #TastyTuesdays

13. Now this is our kind of dinner. It looks fantastic. We found you at Miz Helen’s. Come on over and visit us sometime.

14. Anyonita says:

Tessa, these Mexican eggs look GORGEOUS! :) Can’t wait to try these! I’ve pinned & stumbled them & will be featuring you today on Anyonita Nibbles!

15. Raia says:

Wow, these sound good! My hubby loves Mexican food, and eggs… I might have to try these out on him! :) Thanks for sharing at Savoring Saturdays!
    Raia recently posted…Quick Fix Gluten-Free Sourdough PancakesMy Profile

We adore Mexican here at The Cottage too. We will just love your Mexican Eggs, this is a fabulous dish! http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/cast-party-wednesday-131/
    Miz Helen recently posted…Food of The World: IrelandMy Profile