Delicious wholegrain gluten free vegan waffles to start your morning off right!! Crispy on the outside, soft and tender in the interior, these vegan waffles are a delicious way to kick off your day.
I sometimes get a little silly with my kids, and this phrase actually popped out of my mouth: “Wowwy Waffles.” By using a fun little catch phrase, the waffles went from being waffles into something WAY more fun and hard to resist for them.
Kids aside, these waffles really are ‘wowwy’ in my book, in fact I think they are my favorite waffle recipe of all time….including ones with gluten!!
They are crispy on the outside, moist and chewy on the inside….divine!!
Can you make gluten free pancakes instead of gluten free waffles?
You can always make them pancake style, and since you are mixing so many flours (oh the woes of gluten-free baking!) You will need to add a touch more milk to the batter, about 1/2 cup. Thin to your desired consistency.
A time saving tip for these gluten free waffles:
I always make at least a double batch to have the dry ingredients on hand ready to go for another batch.
Simply mix all the dry ingredients together and store the mix in an airtight container! When it is time to mix up, use 2 cups of mix!
I will also cook up ALL the batter and freeze the extra for toaster waffles (it really does work!). Just pop an individual frozen waffle in the toaster on a busy school morning and you have a healthier ‘instant’ breakfast!!
Either way, you’re saving time and energy so take advantage!
Using gluten free waffles and pancakes as sandwich bread?
Another little tip: for a fun gluten free bread sandwich, use two waffle halves for your sandwich slices….and if you want to make the waffles savory, omit the sugar and vanilla, and make a waffle ham and cheese!
I adapted a recipe from Gluten Free Girl and the Chef.
My favorite waffle iron:
I have gone through several, and without a doubt, this waffle iron is my absolute favorite!! Cuisenart makes a lot of great products!
More Gluten Free & Vegan Breakfast Ideas:
- Gluten Free Cranberry Orange Coffee Cake
- Millet Porridge
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
- Almond & Apricot (or any preserve) Cream Cheese Danish @ The Spunky Coconut
- Paleo AIP Blueberry Muffins @ Eat Beautiful
Gluten Free Vegan Waffle Recipe:
Wholegrain Gluten Free Waffles - Vegan | Egg Free
- 2/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1/3 cup gluten free oat flour or brown rice flour
- 1/3 cup millet flour or sorghum
- 1/3 cup sorghum flour
- 1/3 cup teff flour
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- 2 tablespoons flax meal or chia meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons palm sugar or any sweetener. I use palm and stevia
- 2 cups non dairy milk more as needed to thin to desired consistency (I used So Delicious Coconut Milk)
- 1 tablespoon Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed with 1/4 cup water OR 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil or any fat
- Optional: Add in some berries or chopped fruit we used black raspberries this morning! Cinnamon would be tasty too!
Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
Mix in the wet, adding more milk if necessary to thin. As the batter rests, the flours swell, add more milk if necessary.
Cook away on a waffle iron or skillet as preferred.
Any of the links in my posts may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and pays for the cost of running this free resource!