I figure it is pretty par for the course that we are having a major heat wave…the very first of the summer….right when we start back to school!
I was beginning to think that we were going to get through a whole summer with no 90+ days, but alas, I was wrong! As any normal northwesterner, when the mercury climbs, we think longingly of ways to cool off, and icy treats are the order of the day.
I stumbled upon these reusable silicone push pops on a link a friend sent me….and I had to have a set!! I have always found the plastic molds I have annoying…hard to clean, hard to get your popsicle out, etc. After a two batches….I have to say these molds are FANTABULOUS!! (I know that is not a word, but I really love these things!) Pulling from an idea I found in The Sneaky Chef cookbook and the Whole Life Nutrition blog, I set to work creating a luscious version of avocado chocolate pudding.
Perfect for eating as is, or filling into your popsicle molds for some divine, creamy fudgesicles. Trust me…you will have NO idea there is avocado in there, and neither will your kids. The avocado sets the creaminess factor over the top….you will love every creamy bite!
- NOTE: Don’t be tempted to use old avocados with brown flesh instead of green… they leave a weird smokey aftertaste not intended or pleasant! If you flick the stem off the top of an avocado that feels perfect, you should see beautiful mint green flesh, nothing brown!
- NOTE II: I have also made this with soaked Medjool dates, and less honey (about 8 dates with 4T honey). If I want it sweeter for a different crowd, I often just add drops of stevia liquid! If you want a very thick pudding, cut back on the coconut milk.
Healthy Fudgesicles/Chocolate Pudding
A sneaky treat, no one will ever guess the secret ingredient in these ultra creamy, healthy pops!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Total Time 5 minutes
- 1 cup coconut milk I have used regular and light with no discernible difference
- 4-6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder I love Dagoba if you like dark chocolate, use 6 tablespoons
- 2 fresh ripe avocados, smallish
- 1/4 cup honey or more to taste (coconut nectar or maple syrup would also work)
- Dash of salt this heightens the chocolate flavor
Puree the whole mixture in your blender until creamy and smooth. Feel free to add more cocoa or sweetener to suit your tastes.
Fill your molds, freeze, or store in the fridge for a yummy pudding!!