Donuts are all rage in the blog world right now. How about a gluten free vegan donut for those of us with restrictions? Or if pumpkin is more your jam, my gluten free pumpkin donuts are a crowd pleaser!
Don’t get me wrong…I love me a fresh, hot, fried piece of dough…but health reasons win out: a once a year treat (or less)!
With nutrient dense lunchbox fillers hot on MY mind, I figured these would be a hit. After all…what really gets kids excited about their lunchboxes?
Is it mom’s stellar gourmet cooking with just the right marriage of flavors and textures?
HA! My kids have no clue that mom is a pretty good cook and frankly, could CARE LESS!! In other words:
They want excitement!
They want sprinkles!
They want frosting!!
So it is my job to figure out how to give them these things without feeding them unhealthy foods in the process. These fit the bill in our house.
A bit of novelty and whimsy go a long way in a lunchbox….enter cute little donut shapes the perfect size for little hands! I promptly purchased my own donut pan for $12 on amazon.
This morning, was the pilot…and it was VERY successful! My kids didn’t have to know that I snuck all sorts of goodies into the dough and NO refined sugars (minus the topping). So have fun, I know I did!
Vegan gluten free donuts topping ideas:
- I proved a traditional vanilla glaze used in the pictures in the recipe card below!
- Cinnamon & sugar I also use. Simply dip the top of the baked donut into melted butter or coconut oil and sprinkle with a cinnamon and sugar! We like lots of cinnamon!
- Maple glaze: Simply follow the direction for the vanilla glaze, just replace the milk with maple syrup!
- Maple bar glaze: try the glaze in this recipe!
- Chocolate glaze: just a couple of ingredients!
How do I make these without a donut pan?
These make great little mini muffins, just like baked donut holes! They bake in the oven for about 12-15 minutes.
Additional kid-friendly gluten free breakfast ideas:
- My gluten free zucchini pancakes are made the convenience of your blender and use up some of that zucchini that proliferates in the summer!
- Baked breakfast pizza if so easy to make and incredibly yummy!
- Nutrient dense and satisfying, my paleo oatmeal is a creamy bowl of maple goodness!
- Smoothies can be a rapid fire way to enjoy a healthy and satisfying meal on busy mornings, and my green mango smoothie is a winner!
- Cassava flour pancakes look yumm-o!
If you try these donuts, be sure to report back and leave a comment! I love hearing about people trying my recipes!
Gluten Free Vegan Cake Donuts
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup cassava flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup collagen optional. Not vegan. Use code 'tessa10' for 10% off any order
- 1/4 cup golden flax meal
- 1/2 cup palm sugar or brown sugar, or more if you like them sweeter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum or xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup avocado oil coconut oil, or favorite vegan butter
- 1/2 cup vegan yogurt or sour cream. I used So Delicious plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup applesauce or 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
OPTIONAL ADD IN'S
- cinnamon, dark chocolate chips, diced berries
- 1 cup corn free powdered sugar or powdered coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter melted, OR butter flavored coconut oil, or any butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch sea salt optional
- 1-2 tablespoons almond milk or any favorite milk.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, lightly grease the donut pan (s).
Mix all wet ingredients in the bowl of a mixer.
Add in the dry ingredients together.
Bake for 12-15 minutes until just done. and no longer gooey on top.
Let cool a couple of minutes and invert on a cooling rack to avoid a soggy bottom.
Top with powdered sugar, a cinnamon & sugar mix, or the above vanilla glaze. Topping options included in post above.
Use a spoon to fill each individual donut shape, or use a 1.5 tablespoon cookie scoop to fill a mini muffin pan. Additionally, you could scrape all the gooey dough in to a Ziploc bag, seal it up, snip a corner off and squeeze the batter thru like a pastry bag.
nutritional info for mini donuts or muffins with the vanilla glaze.